PDA

View Full Version : Ripped Above Ground Liner

playerags
07-01-2011, 06:45 PM
My dog jumped in my 33' above ground pool and ripped a 12" hole in the liner. On the bottom where the coping is. The whole pool emptied in about 30 minutes.
Can this tear be repaired or do I have to buy a new liner?

PoolDoc
07-01-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm not AG pool expert, but I'm betting on the new liner. Maybe someone else knows differently.

CarlD
07-01-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't see how you get around a replacement. That water would shoot out like a fire hose and just destroys the site the pool's on, unless it's on concrete or asphalt. Had that happen to me--not a dog but a new, defective liner split a seam. Washed away much of the sand underneath. You'll have to fix the site, which means removing the liner. I'd say it's done.

Carl

playerags
07-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Well, I patched it. It don't hurt to try, right? Luckily it was on the lowest slope and all the water washed away from the pool.I packed about a wheelbarrow full of sand back in place that washed away. Hope it works. I'm sure I'll know before the pool is completely filled again.

PoolDoc
07-02-2011, 05:39 PM
If it works, great!

CarlD
07-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Agreed!

If you were successfully able to patch it, I suggest you add a second layer patch that surrounds the first one by at least an inch on every side. This will increase the seal and protect the critical patch (the one you were brilliantly able to apply), particularly from being torn loose.

Carl

playerags
07-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I doubled up the patch right away. What I did was tape the backside with gorilla tape just to get the rip back together. Then I put a patch over it about 4 inches wide, and about 2 inches past the tear on each side. Then I put another bigger patch over the first patch.
As of this afternoon, it still isn't leaking and the refill is about 6 inches over the patch. If it does leak out an inch a week, I can live with that. Just to get me through the year.
I have been lurking this site for about 2 years but this was the first time I've had to post. With all the advice I have gotten from just reading I should subscribe. Actually I will. Thanks guys!!!

Watermom
07-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Glad your patches seem to be working. Also, thanks so much for becoming a subscriber. That is very much appreciated! Glad to have you onboard!

CarlD
07-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Nice job!

Carl