PDA

View Full Version : Orange Stain Problem

sbillingsley
05-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Just now trying to open pool. I will be honest in saying we are not the best at testing the chemicals in the pool - never really had any problems before.

Now we can't get the pool to clear up (has some gross slimy looking stuff all in the water - kinda looks like a white cardboard box was left in the pool to deteriorate). Went to the pool store for the first time in years. First off the kids asked me the size of the pool in gallons...????...told him it was an octagon shaped pool....we decided 5,000 gallons...when i got home DH told me I was way off by 5-7,000 gallons but he wasnt sure either. So, kid told me: backwash, brush, then add 4 lbs Alk up (i added 8 since I was wrong on the gallons), 5 pounds of shock (would have did more but that is all I had), and 2 oz clarifier (i added 4 since I had gallons wrong). Per his instructions I backwashed this morning added more clarifier. The only really change I could see was it was brushed.

While I was out doing all this work I noticed the steps and the skimmer intake were really orange. I dont know if they have been this way over the last week or so since I uncovered or if this just started happening when i started dumping crap in the pool. How do I get rid of the stains?
I have read other posts on Orange stains and it keeps talking about a Vit C; what is that and can you point me to an area where I can get informed?

I know this email rattles on - I apologize. I just have no clue what I am doing so I am trying to learn in reverse order. Thanks to anyone that could help. Shannon

DavidD
05-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Shannon,

In order to properly take care of your pool, you really should do your own test. It may seem intimidating but I assure you it is quite simple. The key is to buy a good, drop based test kit that is easy to understand. I know of only two, one of which is sold at the forum's sister site http://www.poolsolutions.com/ (go to main order page, PS234) and the other is made by Taylor however I believe it is more expensive. They may seem really expensive but Either one will be worth their weight in gold and will save you money by keeping you out of the pool store! I started off in my response to your post with this because it will be hard to help you or determine what kind of problems you may have without knowing what your pools reading are for FC (free chlorine), CC (combined chlorine), TC (total chlorine-FC+CC), PH, ALK (alkaline), CH (calcium hardness) and CYA (Cyanuric acid a.k.a. stabilizer). We really need those as well as pool type (i.e.. plaster, vinyl, fiberglass etc.), type of sanitizer you use (chlorine, baquacil etc.) and how many gallons your pool has. To determine gallons, you can post the measurements and depths and I'm sure we can get you pretty close.
Now to your staining. It could very well be metal staining however it may also be mustard algae. Do the stains feel slimy? I know you stated you had water mold (cardboard box like stuff) which indicates a lack of sanitizer so I would lean toward the algae first. Before addressing the stain, you should be sure the water is balanced and is properly sanitized. Did the pool store give you a printout of your test? If so, post that.

sbillingsley
05-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Ok, I have the print out. Again, i don’t know if these numbers make a difference but I told him it was only a 5000 gallon pool.

Temp=78, saturation index= -1.5, Tds= not tested, CYA=not tested, tot chlorine 4.9, free clorine=0, ph=6.8, demand drops=10, tot alk=60, adj tot alk=60, tot hardness=61, optimizer, copper, iron, quat=not tested, manganese=no

We have a vinyl octagon pool with 10 foot sides. The deep end is 6 foot the shallow is 3 foot. We use chlorine.

I looked at the pool when I got home today - it is very, very cloudy, I can’t see the bottom. My son was trying to scoop up some of the "cardboard looking matter" yesterday and it said it was slimy (actually said the pool was full of snot - that’s a kid for ya!)

I truly appreciate anything anyone can tell me. I have read so much info now I don’t know where to start. I did order one of the kits of the site so until I get it I have to rely on the calculations the pool kid gives me.

Thanks again for the help, Shannon

DavidD
05-11-2006, 09:54 AM
When you say your octagon pool has "10 foot sides", I am assuming each of the 8 sides is 10 feet long, I'm estimating your pool is between 9k & 10k gallons. Let's use 10k for now.
Looking at your initial test, the stain is probably algae due to no FC and high CC & your dangerously low PH of 6.8. I think you should not worry about the stains just yet, but concentrate on getting the pool balanced and clear. The only way to accomplish this is to kill the algae/mold/"snot".:) If you have not already done so, read ALL of the Tips at http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/10things.html. These are the basics. Also, you can review some of the post in the Dealing with Algae section.
Good job on purchasing the PS234. I have the older model and can't begin to tell you how much time, trouble and money it has saved me. For now, go back to the pool store and get them to test for FC, CC (FC + CC=TC), PH, ALK, CH and CYA (I'm assuming the numbers you posted were before adding all of the "stuff" they sold you). They will try to sell you more "stuff", but play dumb and say something like "my husband said just to test for now" or something to that effect. Also, you probably should run by Wal-Mart, Home Depot or K Mart and purchase one of their 5 Way Test kits and a gallon of distiled water to get you by until you get your "real" test kit. I think they're $10 or less and this will save you trips back and forth to the pool store. These kits do not test for FC but only for TC, and they only test to 5ppm so you will have to use CarlD's "patented shot glass method" to test higher by diluting the pool water sample with distilled water.
Post some numbers and we'll go from there. You'll be swimming soon!

Dave

PS.This post should probably be moved to the Dealing with Algae section