PDA

View Full Version : pump piping

sulconst2
05-10-2006, 07:01 AM
hello, f
first post, i'm a contractor from jersey who needs some pool advice. I have an approx. 18 x 40 built in pool with a 1 1/2 hp hayward super pump thats 8 years old. changing out to 2 hp haywood northstar pump. cut out the old and installed the new with 1 1/2" schedule 40 pvc (guess that was the mistake) primed and glued but doesnt hold. i'm used to running pvc for waste lines and its good in 20 seconds. question is what pipe and glue is used for this application?
thanks

MarkC
05-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Schedule 40 is what is usually used. I do believe 1.5" on a 2hp pump is a little on the small side and would have gone with 2". Is the pump inlet and outlet sized for 2". When you said it did not hold was your PVC cleaner and joint cement relatively new? I have had failures using old PVC cement in the past. I would let it sit pressure free overnight just to be on the safe side.

sulconst2
05-10-2006, 07:59 AM
thanks for the quick reply. pump is set-up for 2". existing lines are 1 1/2". used a bushing for transition. glue was new. even used the green glue for the pvc to abs spots. maybe just should let it sit longer cause its pressure? i could change whats above ground to 2" but would still have 1 1/2 under ground.

Maxout
05-10-2006, 08:06 AM
This Christy's Hot glue really works well. Still any joint under pressure (unlike waste lines) will require at least a few hours to cure. I would wait over night in this application if possible.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/max511/iRedHot.gif

duraleigh
05-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Good morning,

a PVC joint, properly primed and glued, will hold pool-type pressure within 2 minutes....usually less. Something else is wrong...not the glue.

What ABS to PVC connection do you have? Thats unusual.

Just to chime in, your pump is too large for that pool. Unless you have a really large filter (130gpm plus), you'll be running unnecessary pressure in your sytem. Not enough to have ANY effect on the glue joints, but causing you to burn unneccessary electric. :)

sulconst2
05-10-2006, 08:37 AM
the pump filter housing is black. figured that is abs. these joints were fine. the pvc joints are giving me the problem. the pipe i owned for a while. was using my rigid ratchet cutter which wasnt cutting the pipe, actually breaking it. had to use a sawzall. wonder if something is wrong with the pipe? usually the cutter cuts with no problem.
going to set my guys up on my job then coming home to work on this. i'll check the size of the filter.

sulconst2
05-10-2006, 08:49 AM
filter is 112 gpm. here some pics of the set-up. simply pipe job but figure maybe im missing something being a pressurized system .

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e178/sulconst2/DSC02250.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e178/sulconst2/DSC02249.jpg

duraleigh
05-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the helpful pics...I see the primer. Looks like you used the existing suction side into the pump and only remodeled the pressure side. What joints aren't holding?

It appears all you need to complete is a nipple into the pressure side fitting on the pump. What am I missing?

Poconos
05-10-2006, 08:56 AM
From the pics it seems the swept 90's are for drain & waste, not the pressure rated 90's I see on the heater. The pressure fittings have about a 1.25" deep glued mate. Should also be able to use a regular sched-40 pipe adapter into the pump. As for the glue, regular green can cement and purple primer. I'd also let the joints cure for an hour or so before putting them under pressure. The pipes seem attached but the glue is still soft.
Al

Davenj
05-10-2006, 09:05 AM
I have a Northstar 2hp spd pump with 500lb sand filter, 2 1/2" piping, 4 returns, 2 main drains and skimmers, spa, and swimout. On high speed it moves alot of water. Pump pressure reads 20psi with everything open. 18x36 pool. I only run it on high for 1hr twice a day. The rest of the time it runs on low speed. Seems like to big a pump for your setup. Not very efficent, like putting a straw in the end of a garden hose.

sulconst2
05-10-2006, 09:06 AM
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/02200001004580.htm

ratchet cutter is made by "rigid" or "ridgid" works great, till now,
cuts up to 2".

the long sweep 90 is cause i ran out of vent 90, short sweep. yea these fittings only have 3/4" mate. that must be it. i'll hit the supply house instead of a box store.
thanks
john

chrisexv6
05-10-2006, 09:49 AM
http://www.inyopools.com/Products/02200001004580.htm

ratchet cutter is made by "rigid" or "ridgid" works great, till now,
cuts up to 2".

the long sweep 90 is cause i ran out of vent 90, short sweep. yea these fittings only have 3/4" mate. that must be it. i'll hit the supply house instead of a box store.
thanks
john

Yep, thats your problem. I did the same thing, not realizing that there were different fittings for "pressurized" connections. The big box stores do actually have them, I just didnt happen to look. Just for kicks, when you make the new connections, rough the inside of the elbows and outside of the pipes up a little with emery cloth or sandpaper before priming them. Not sure if it really makes a difference, but you never know.

BTW, the Northstar is a nice pump, but its really *really* powerful. Going up from a 1.5HP SP to a 2.0HP Northstar is a pretty big difference (bigger than just .5 HP). Im actually running a .5 HP Northstar with my Hayward S244T filter, and the liner installer said that might even be pushing the limits of the multiport.

-Chris

CarlD
05-10-2006, 11:01 AM
I think Poconos is right. If those 90 deg bends coming out of the pump aren't Sched 40 or better you have little chance of them standing the pressure. Those are only drain strength. EVERYTHING you use on the pool should be Sched 40.

You'll have to try working the routing to the filter differently--of course, if it's the PVC to the black fittings on the filter that's failing, you'll need some sort of PVC to ABS adaptor to make that work.

likesspace
05-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Hi,
I work with PVC on a daily basis and your problem is definately that you are using DWV fittings on this pressure application. When you go to get your new fittings, make sure that you specify you need them for pressue. Even DWV fittings are schedule 40 but there is a big difference between the fittings made for drain, waste and vent and pressure applications.
Hope this helps.
Dave

sulconst2
05-11-2006, 12:41 PM
well, changed it out with the pressure fittings. plus got clear primer. duh! sure enough took 10 minutes, let it set for an hour, and she is cranking away. pressure in the 50 psi max cartridge filter is 33psi. looks like stronger circulation at the pool so hope the powered cleaner works better. plus the pump runs much cooler to the touch than the super pump.
well thanks for the help. not too often this "ol dog" learns new tricks!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e178/sulconst2/53d32121.jpg