PDA

View Full Version : New Plaster

SingleBarrel
07-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Hello all. I am hopefully a soon to be proud new pool owner. Tha plaster was finally done, and we started filling the pool. 50 hours later the water is half way up the skimmers. Our builders assistant then added chlorine (about 6 pounds). I think he also added a bottle of muratic acid(Not sure). Anyways, the pool looks now like our local river. Im kicking myself for not doing my own research, I guess I assumed these guys knew what they are doing.

My main concerns ane that the new plaster is stained. Ive read that the plaster needs time before chlorine is added. The pool guys are here now, and are trying to fix things with chemicals. I want nothing less the the perfect fix, even if that meand stripping the plaster and starting over. I dont want them doing a cover-up patch job.

Please share your thoughts
Im sure yall will be looking for more information/details, just let me know.

Thanks
Scott

PoolDoc
07-01-2011, 10:14 AM
You need to act QUICKLY! Call your builder and ask him if he wants you to treat the water OR if he wants to do so. Tell him you will hold him responsible for any stains, either way. You can read him the recipe below, if you like.

Assuming he'd prefer you to do it:

Go quickly and get some HEDP-based metal sequestrant. Jacks Magic Pink Stuff or Proteam Metal Magic and add 1.5x the recommended dose ASAP. You will probably need to go to a pool store -- call first so you don't waste a trip if they don't have these.

Also, buy some muriatic acid (Lowes, hardware store) and a cheap OTO / phenol red drops based test kit. Test your water, and lower the pH to 7.0 - 7.2 . . . and THEN add a little more acid. Do NOT add calcium increaser (calcium chloride), pH increaser (soda ash) or alkalinity increaser (baking soda) -- till after you have the metal situation under control.

Make sure your pump and filter is running as soon as possible, BUT adjust the pool returns so that returning water does NOT point at the floor or sides -- if you can point the eyeballs at the surface, do so.

If you aren't filling via a skimmer, make sure the hose (or whatever ) is in a bucket and NOT directing a stream of water against the pool finish!

I'll ask Waterbear and Waste to see if they can add to this, or maybe modify it.

SingleBarrel
07-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Ben
Thanks for the quick response. Our pool builder has now put a total of 4 bottles of Metal Out (is this comparable to the products you mentioned). He talked with the local supply store, and they told him this was normal for pool in this area using a well to fill a pool.

He drained the hot tub to check the plaster, and it looks good no staining.

You said to lower the pH, I mentioned this to him and he was hesitant saying he has it perfect now. Will lowering the pH help to keep the plaster from staining or is there another reason.

He was also about to add Calcuim Increaser, I stopped him from doing so.

PoolDoc
07-01-2011, 02:53 PM
You need to test / have him test the water, and report results here, before you start dumping chemicals in.

There are two versions of "Metal Out" -- "Extra Strength Metal Out" and "Metal Out". I don't know what's in either, but they appear to be two different chemicals. If you call Doheny's, they might tell you what's in them . . . OR you can request an MSDS. Do NOT add another brand or even another type of Doheny's (Dohenys.com) metal ptoduct now.

Good, bad, or indifferent, "Metal Out" is what's there now. You might check the bottles to see exactly what they say. The fact that your builder is going to the pool store is not a great news -- it probably means he has little or no idea what to do.

You need to order at Taylor K2006 regardless -- Amazon link in my signature.