PDA

View Full Version : Building my first pool, need advice.

aaronper
07-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Hello,

I am preparing to build my first pool. I will be getting a few bids over the next couple weeks. I have a few questions that would help in some decisions that need to be made.

1. Salt Water System; I am leaning twards this system, I have done research and seems some issues but most are content. I live in Houston TX and don't know if there is any area specific issues?

2. Should we instal a spa? Is it in most cases wasted space or do those that did not have one wish they did?

3. Are there any features (built in especially) that should be added during construction?

4. Are there any things I should make sure to include structure wise like spaqcing between steel ect?

5. I noticed that some pool companies here have disclaimers about adding color to plaster, does this really compromise integrity of water seal?

6. The two pool companies I am looking at are Platinum pools in Houston and Laguna pools in Katy, so far reasearch shows good ratings but would like to know if anyone has any experience with either?

I am sorry about so many questions and appreciate advice,

Thanks,
Aaron

vinper
07-06-2011, 11:30 AM
I am on the north side of houston Built my own 1) the saltwater generator is another $ 1k ,I went without it and have recently added salt to see if I like it 2) Spa is another 5 K I did not do it most are rough and not comfy like a fiberglass plus I have propane and heating is to expensive , I actually would rather have a chiller temp 87 degrees 3) Overflow , auto fill ,seperate bottom drains dont tie into skimmer ,install 2 skimmers, loop all the return line all the way around pool for even pressure, Led color lighting pricey but you will love it , add steps on each side or benches. Run your irrigation lines while the have the trenches open 4) Beef up corners and slopes,add steel under water fall .benches and steps increase perimeter strenght 5) Go with atleast quarzt its better than standard plaster comes in colors . Now we would have paid the extra 3k to put in pebble tech. 6) I sub contracted out my own , most all the builders use the same subs....Look at My Build thread

I Could not figure out how to do the Bullet points

aaronper
09-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the info. My build is underway
I am using richards total backjyard and they are doing the tile and coping now 2-3 weeks left to swim time.