PDA

View Full Version : Pool is cloudy but chemical readings seem fine..I'm confused.

Fantasea
06-30-2011, 01:16 PM
I have a 16x24 Fantasea pool that has been completely rebuilt. I have been reading this site for a few years and want to thank everyone for getting me away from the Baquacil money pit, lol. I use well water to fill and top off the pool. The filter is a Hayward S180T sand filter. I also have a Raypack gas heater. I began this season with a crystal clear pool, but over the last week have seen the pool turn slightly cloudy. My readings are: pH=7.6, FC=4, CC=0.2, Alk=150, CaHardness=110, CYA=30, Temp=89F, Sat Index=0.15. The pool tends to rise in pH and I have been using Muriatic acid to lower it. I have basically only worried about keeping the pH and Chlorine levels correct and it seemed to have been working great before this cloudiness started. I am seeing a lot of sediment on the bottom and it is a brownish/green color. I have vacuumed several times only to see it return a day or two later. Any help on getting back to crystal clear would be appreciated.

aylad
06-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Sounds like you're getting an algae bloom. I would shock the pool to 15 ppm using bleach, and hold it there, filter running 24/7, until the pool clears.

Janet

Fantasea
07-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Thank you. I thought as much and had actually raised the chlorine to 12 after I posted. I will add more and hold there until clear. I am also concerned about whether I should be adding metal control whenever I add water because of the well. If so, what are good metal control products to use? Are any of the HTH products worth using?

PoolDoc
07-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Right now, we've ID'd Jacks Magic Pink Stuff and Proteam Metal Magic as being HEDP based.

HTH has gone over to the "Dark Side" and is playing label and goop games, after the manner of BioGuard. Only use them if you are very clear on what they contain.