PDA

View Full Version : c-pool and chlorine

mustaine
06-30-2011, 08:01 AM
I just got a pool a couple weeks back and was told by the previous owner to use c-pool . Ive been adding 250ml of chorline a week and using c-pool once a week. My pool for two weeks now is sparkling with very clear water. I also test it every couple of days and the right levels for chorline look good ( a faint yellow that matches the 1.3 area very well) A guy I know also uses c-pool ( www.c-pool.ca ) and he says he dumps like 10 litres (2.5. gallons) of liquid chorline every week and he uses 2 pucks as well. I use one puck at a time. It sounds like im either using way to less or hes using way too much. I dont know, but my pool water looks good. Any thoughts?

PoolDoc
06-30-2011, 09:07 AM
C-pool is a copper based mess. Like all copper products, it does kill algae, and uncontrolled algae is a common cause of excess chlorine consumption. But if you control algae in your pool (easy to do with the BBB method!), the copper does nothing for you except stain your pool and turn light colored hair (gray or, especially, light blond) green.

Our recommendation is generally to avoid using copper. But in your case, I wouldn't recommend switching instantly. Instead, make sure you understand the BBB method, and are ready to switch. Testing is going to be a problem - I think you are in Canada, and Lowry & Associates uses their distribution lock to charge 2x or more what the same Taylor kit would cost in the US. If you live near the border, and have a US friend, you might want to check with both them and your area's border control. We've heard that the US kits are allowed into Canada without a problem.

Otherwise, you need to check around and see what sort of kits are available to you. We may have to try to work out a testing process with 'goofy strips', in spite of their problems.