PDA

View Full Version : Is Polyquat essential?

Lenny
03-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Hi All,

I'm a new pool owner. I learned a ton off of the old forum late last year but I'm still trying to get a handle on some things.

One question I have is what some of the more experienced pool owners do about algae prevention. I did use Polyquat 60% prior to closing last year and I added some more when I took off the cover a couple of weeks ago. But the stuff is expensive.

My feeling right now is that I'll just be dilligent about chlorine levels and try to skip the Polyquat. I'm sure many of you out there have tried it with and without Polyquat. What have you found?

Thanks,
Lenny

Watermom
03-26-2006, 02:00 PM
I never use Polyquat except at closing. Never have. I am diligent about testing my water and maintaing an adequate chlorine level and never have any problems. It certainly doesn't hurt to use it, but as you said, it is another expense. If you take a couple of minutes a day to maintain good pool chemistry, you don't need it. More money in your pocket for something else. Just my opinion.

Watermom

mwsmith2
03-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Kinda depends where you live. (Hint: fill out your profile! :D ) Down here in Houston, TX, generally I start needing it when the water temps get into the high 80's and 90's. Even with keeping my CYA in the 40's, and keeping my Cl in the 4 range constantly (SWC) I still need it to fight mustard.

Michael

Lenny
03-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks to you both.

I'm in Wilmington, Delaware (added to profile :D ).

I think I'll go without for now and see how things go later in the summer when the water gets very warm. Adding some for insurance while the water is warmer than normal would certainly be better (cheaper) than doing it for the whole season.

I might even skip it at closing this year to see how that goes. If this year is any indication, I'll start champing at the bit to remove the cover around now so I should be able to get the chlorine level up before algae is a concern.

Lenny

duraleigh
03-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Hi, Lenny,

I have never used it. So far, so good (3 years)

Dave S.

mwsmith2
03-26-2006, 09:37 PM
I think I'll go without for now and see how things go later in the summer when the water gets very warm.

Absolutely. Using it now is really not needed. I only use it when my normal methods don't keep the mustard down.

Michael

CarlD
03-27-2006, 08:31 AM
You don't need Polyquat for your normal pool maintenance. Diligent daily testing and correcting your water will work brilliantly.

But, saying that, it DOES help if you let your FC drop due to sunshine, you take a trip and rely on someone else, etc. I like to add about an ounce and a half every week. That way, a 32 oz bottle goes for the whole summer. Since I watch for it to go on sale, and never pay more than $12 to $15/quart, I see it as cheap insurance. At closing, another quart and that's it for the season--$24-$30 more.

Do be aware that after you add PolyQuat, you FC level will drop and you'll need to add chlorine a day or two after. It's especially pronounced when you add a whole quart at closing. At that time, I wait 48 hours (during which time the FC drops), then push my FC up to shock level (15ppm in my case) and close it.

PolyQuat is insurance, no more, no less. You don't need it, but it doesn't hurt and CAN help.