PDA

View Full Version : cloudy water

purplegirl
06-27-2011, 12:41 PM
I have a 5000 gallon intex pool with a 150lb sand filter (overkill, I know) my water is cloudy and I don't know why.

FC 6.0
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 80
CYA 30?

I've been trying to keep the FC high, and I've been running the filter a lot, but the water has been cloudy for a week. The pressure on the filter has read 25 since I opened the pool several weeks ago. Last year the pressure was around 15 and it went down to 10 mid-summer. I think the problem may be in the filter, but I'm not sure. I've backwashed it briefly a couple times but the pressure hasn't dropped. Is the pressure even an issue with the cloudiness?

SalemCastles
06-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Briefly probably won't do it ... you need to backwash until it runs clear usually a minute or two.

purplegirl
06-27-2011, 01:36 PM
The reason why I've only backwashed briefly was because it was running clear from the beginning, which is another reason why I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the filter.

SalemCastles
06-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Perhaps there is something wrong with it. What brand and model is it? Have you tried it in recirculate mode and noted the pressure. I'm at a loss as to why your pressure would have dropped last mid-summer.

purplegirl
06-27-2011, 01:57 PM
I believe it is a Hayward S160 (maybe S180). I have never tried the recirculate mode, I don't even know what that does. Are there parts to the filter that I can take apart and clean? Maybe that would help?

SalemCastles
06-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Ok I have a Hayward s220 so they should work the same. The recirculate mode allows the water to by-pass the sand medium. So in doing that if the pressure is significantly lower you can point to the sand as a possible cause. You can take off the multi-valve assembly to visually inspect the sand and manually clean it out by running a garden hose in it while repeatedly pushing the hose down into the sand and letting it overflow and float the crud out of the top. You will have to disconnect all the pipes and remove the band clamp to do that. It's sometimes difficult to get the top off as there is a plastic center pipe that runs from the bottom and "slides" into the valve. You must be careful not to damage it. I would say its an advanced DIY project for most. I would start with trying the recirc mode and see if it drops the pressure and if it does then try a longer back flush ... if water is an issue then back wash it back into your pool to start with ..as you said its clear anyway. Keep a close watch and if it gets dirty you can stop it and remove the hose from the pool and continue normally. Otherwise the multi-valve might be it ... there is a rubber gasket known as a spider gasket because it looks a bit like a spider web. To get at that you remove all the screws around the top and lift it off. There are pictures here in another thread. http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?10989-Photo-resurrection-2006-multiport-gasket-install&p=76320

purplegirl
06-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Thank you for that information, DurhamHouses. My husband is an expert DIYer, but I will start with the recirculate mode and backwash into the pool first. I really appreciate your help. I'll post back with any changes or progress.

wsommariva
06-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Maybe the pressure gauge is broken? Mine lasted three years. New one was $10.

purplegirl
06-30-2011, 09:47 PM
There is a crack in it. I have to replace another part on my pump, I'll pick up a new pressure gauge while I'm at the pool store.

purplegirl
07-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Replaced the gauge and now pressure reads 8. Much better. I'm not even sure what "normal" pressure level shoud be, I'm just glad mine is on the low side. Also, the cloudiness cleared up. I kept the FC level up around 13 for a few days and now I have crystal clear water! Thanks!

Watermom
07-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Good to hear that the pool is now clear! Enjoy your fourth of July with some swimming!