PDA

View Full Version : IRON in pool - thought I had it licked...

fclem0522
06-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi,

I had my inground vinyl pool liner replaced almost three weeks ago. My pool contractor used some groundwater as well as two truckloads of untreated water (I didn't know it was untreated) to fill the pool. What started out as sludge was slowly improved to crystal clear water with some, what I thought was algae, in the deep end. I have spent the last week backwashing my Pentair DE 48 (brand new) twice a day for four days, then four times yesterday. I added double doses of super clarifier Friday night and last night. This morning, the pool looked amazing except for some spots in the deep end that I thought was algae (the pool smells a bit...). I added three bags of Sani Shock 2, and ten minutes later the water turned green, and now is a clear dark brown.

I'm extremely frustrated and don't know what to do next. Any help you can provide will be MUCH appreciated. Thanks so much.

Faith

16' 6" x 35' 6" grecian
18,000 gallons (?)
DE Pentair 48 (brand new)

Watermom
06-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Sure sounds like metal in the water which fell out and stained your pool when you shocked. The first thing is to get a set of water testing results taken with a drops-based kit and post them here. Make sure that the CYA and CC levels are reported along wiith FC, pH, TA, CH. Also, ask them to test for metals.

If you don't have a kit that can test for those things, for now, go to a reputable pool store and let them test for you but just don't let them sell you a bunch of stuff.

(You'll need a good test kit if you don't already have one. The one we recommend is the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C (same kit, larger bottle of some reagents). If you buy it through the Amazon link in my signature, the Pool Forum makes a little money on the sale which helps us keep this form online. Only buy if the seller is Amato Industries, however. Some other sellers are substituting the K-2005 which you do NOT want. )

Also, tell us the ingredients in sani-shock 2. Don't add anything else right now until you get us some good readings.

Let's find out if you have any algae or if all of this is metals related.

I would also suggest that you spend a couple of hours reading through many of the posts in the metals section of the forum. You'll find many threads dealing with this same type of situation, You'll probably have to log out before you'll be able to see the other forums.

Post your results and somebody here will help you go from there.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

fclem0522
06-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks, Watermom. I'm taking a sample to be tested today. I've been reading the Pool Forum for a few years and have spent the past few weeks reading posts related to minerals in the water. The Blue Shield Sani Shock 2 Super Shock Treatment (1 lb. bag) contains: calcium hypochlorite - 47.6%, other ingredients (not listed) - 52.4%, minimum available chlorine - 45%.

PoolDoc
06-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Gotta be quick, but:

#1 - Metal treatments don't remove metals, they just temporarily make them soluble again.
#2 - The way to get metal out is to filter it out (the brown stuff, in your case), so run your filter 24/7 for the next 2 weeks.
#3 - Today, if you can, vacuum, brush, and add a metal treatment. Remember, only the stuff on your filter is removed.
#4 - Use a couple of chlorine tabs in the skimmer -- this tends to drop the metal out where you want it, in the filter not the pool!
BUT NEVER EVER LET Cal hypo (shock) touch trichlor tabs. Bad things WILL happen!
#5 - Get some polyquat, and use it. This will let you keep your pool algae free, as you slowly (over 1 - 2 weeks) bring your chlorine up to get the algae out.

What you are trying to do is clean up what's dropped, get the rest back into solution, and then GRADUALLY bring it out on your filter.