PDA

View Full Version : Sand in pool?

JenLM
06-25-2011, 10:09 PM
OK, I'm back again with more questions. ;)

I thought our pool filter was putting dirt back into our pool, but I think it may be sand. How do you know for sure?

We changed the sand out in May and everything appeared to be OK inside the filter. We partially filled with water before adding the sand. Do you think we broke something while refilling the filter? Our pool is pretty clear with the exception of all of the dirt/sand that keeps covering the bottom. Our pressure has been going up faster lately too.

Thanks in advance for helping!

waste
06-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Hi Jen.

Put a knee high stocking over one of the returns (you can keep it in place with a rubber-band, if you have return inlets/ eyeballs) Then check it the next day. Then describe to us what was collected in the stocking.

JenLM
06-26-2011, 09:39 PM
OK, thanks. I'll find some knee highs tomorrow.

dcarlton
06-27-2011, 04:03 PM
I too have had deposits in the bottom of my pool, almost like dust, not dirt (it's real fine and vacuums up somewhat easy but sometimes takes a little scrubbing with the pool vac). Just this weekend I put a white knee high on my one return and found small spruce pine needles in it this morning (we have a spruce tree near the pool that the wind will blow this trash into it). Having the knee sock there seems to have lessened the amount of 'dirt' I am getting into the pool. I too replaced my sand this year but did it like the instructions said, filled the filter with water first (about half way) and then put in about 170 pounds of sand.