PDA

View Full Version : Pool Start up and Test Numbers

drako4
06-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi There,

After having such a successful swim season last year using the BBB method, we are starting up again and will be carrying on... Everyone on this site was extremely helpful and I am using much of the advice that was given. We set up our little Intex 12 x 30 pool which holds approx 1700 gal. about 3 days ago.
I have my trusty Taylor Test kit along with my di-chlor granules that I have been adding to get enough CYA in.
My numbers this AM are: PH 7.4, FC 6.5, CC 0, TA 90.
I tested a little over a day ago and did not have a CYA reading. I started out by adding 2 TBSP of di-chlor and then went up to 4TBSP over the day. My FC spiked up to 10 and I backed off on the granules to allow the FC to come down. I remember from last year that about 1 lb of di-chlor would give me a CYA reading of 30-50 ppm.
My question is this. Is there a problem with my FC already being at 6.5 only after 3 days and not having a CYA reading? Can you add this to fast and cause a problem for yourself?
I am sure this is a silly question, but have to ask anyway. Don't know what I would do without this site!

Cheers,
Carrie

Watermom
06-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Carrie, and welcome back! Actually, a FC at 6.5ppm in a pool that has no CYA isn't going to stay there very long, so it is fine. In fact, for new fills with no CYA reading yet, around 6 is the level I recommend that they take their chlorine to since you lose chlorine to the sun so fast when the pool is not yet stabilized. You're doing fine. We'll be here if you have more questions!

(All your other numbers look great!)

drako4
07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi There,

I have finally finished adding my dichlor and my numbers are as follows:
PH= 7.4
FC= 6.5
CC= 0
TA= 100
CYA= 50- Not sure if this is a little high. Last year at this time it was 40

Is this an OK time to switch over to bleach or should I be doing any corrections first?

Thank you again for your advice!

Carrie

Watermom
07-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Everything looks perfect! Time to switch to bleach.