PDA

View Full Version : New Salt System and Low CYA

AndreaA
06-25-2011, 11:03 AM
We just received our new salt system. We have a friend that is going to help install it for us at no charge saving us about 1k :-D

My current CYA level is at 30 and according to hayward it needs to be around 80. Can someone tell me the best course of action to up my CYA with out getting it too high?

Also, I have a vinyl liner and calcium hardness level is low for us and pool store tried to get us to add 80lbs which we told them was crazy (didn't want to get pool stored) but will low calcium levels hurt my cell?

Thanks so much!

Watermom
06-25-2011, 11:26 AM
What is the volume of your pool? I'm not sure if low calcium levels will hurt your cell but don't think so. Look in your SWCG manual. It should tell you.

AndreaA
06-25-2011, 12:42 PM
26k gallons

Watermom
06-25-2011, 12:56 PM
In a 26K pool, every 2 lbs. of stabilzer will add about 10ppm of CYA. i would suggest just adding it directly into your skimmer, slowly, and let it dissolve in the filter. Keep the pump running 24/7 for at least the next 4 or 5 days and don't check your CYA before then to make sure it is totally dissolved.

AndreaA
06-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Great thanks! Will work on it and get back to you in a few days with my results :-) Can't wait to swim with our new salt system :-)

Phillbo
06-25-2011, 03:33 PM
I fill an old tube sock full of CYA, tie it off and drop it in the skimmer basket. It dissolved and gets sucked into the filter over night . A sock will hold about 2lbs of crystals .

CarlD
06-25-2011, 03:41 PM
When adding CYA, slow and patient is the key.

Calcium is pushed by all pool stores (except one salesman in one store I know) for vinyl pools when it is useless. Heaters and SWCGs MAY require a certain level of calcium and it's worth to avoid voiding the warranty. But calcium is a mystery to most pool store guys. The "computer" says add it so they say add it. It's for concrete-type pools, not vinyl ones.

Carl

AndreaA
06-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Update-- salt system was installed yesterday afternoon. We added 600lbs of salt last night (recommend 693lbs) but didn't want to add to much. Salt that we used was Mortons granular not pellets and it took a few hours of stirring to desolve 600lbs also added about 4lbs of CYA over an hour period directly into skimmer but my pressure went up about 7 so i backed off and let desolve over night. So far everything is looking good and the transittion was fairly simply DIY.