PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Hayward DE Filter System

ryano
06-24-2011, 12:14 PM
OK, so I'm a relatively new pool owner with a few questions about my Hayward DE filter and the systems that operate my pool...

My system uses a Hayward Separation Tank to keep the used DE from flowing out with my waste water... I believe it's simply placed inline with the waste water plumbing. I've only ever used the separation tank on the BACKWASH valve setting.

My question is:
Can I use my Separation Tank on the WASTE setting to clear out some of the muck in the bottom of my pool?

My thinking is that the WASTE setting will bypass the filter, but run through the separation tank where the bag will catch most of the solids. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

PoolDoc
06-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Have never used a sep tank, but I'm guessing it's in the discharge line, which is shared by both the backwash and waste settings on a multiport valve. However, your pool may be plumbed differently.

ryano
06-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I've spent most of the day getting to know my pool filter system and think I have a better understanding now...

The Separation Tank is plumbed into the discharge line as you stated.
It looks like there are several ways to run the vacuum system and it's just a matter of finding the best combination.

PoolDoc
06-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Hope you are able to get everything resolved!

Ben

waste
06-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Welcome to the Forum!

While I've never worked with a separation tank with a DE filter, take a look at this (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?9189-cleaning-a-DE-filter) thread for info on using your DE filter.