PDA

View Full Version : Best way to add cya,stabilizer?

xoroniox
05-09-2006, 11:58 AM
I know this question has been asked before but i just finished searching through the whole section and didnt find a proper answer, maybe its hidden within another thread/section anyway.

My question is what is the best way to add CYA. I have read adding to the skimmer and keep pump on, put in a sock in front of a return also put in the net and leave in front of a return. dissolving in a bucket of water than spreading the water around the pool. just dumping it in and let it dissolve. I need to add like 2-3pounds to my pool so i am wondering which method will work best for me.

Thanks for all the help

tphaggerty
05-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Based on other advice, I got some skimmer "liners" (for want of a better word). These are about $8 for 5 at Leslies and other places. They are a fine mesh, soft nylon (I think) liner that fit right into the skimmer basket. Most people use them to have the skimmer filter out some of the finer stuff so it doesn't hit the filter.

But, they also work great for CYA. I dumped about 3 pounds into one of these in with the filter running and within 24 hours all of the CYA was gone. Probably not completely dissolved, but at least small enough to fit through the really tiny mesh. Plus, these liners filter out a lot of the small stuff that goes right through my baskets.

xoroniox
05-09-2006, 07:19 PM
hey,
Great, i think they are called skimmer socks. that is the method i will use... sounds good plus having extra filtration cant be a bad thing lol.

-Arron

cygnusecks
05-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Just pour slowly into skimmer. I dump a 4 lb. dose of CYA over the course of two minutes. CYA tends to clump, so don't dump it all in at once. Slowly pouring means it'll find its way to your filter and dissolve there. I think it would dissolve much faster evenly spread out over your filter, vs. in a big clump in a skimmer sock.

CarlD
05-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Just pour slowly into skimmer. I dump a 4 lb. dose of CYA over the course of two minutes. CYA tends to clump, so don't dump it all in at once. Slowly pouring means it'll find its way to your filter and dissolve there. I think it would dissolve much faster evenly spread out over your filter, vs. in a big clump in a skimmer sock.

If you use this method (which is a perfectly fine method) do NOT back wash your filter for a week after all the crystals are gone. Otherwise a lot of CYA will be stuck in the filter and back-washed out!

Whenever I feel the need to raise my CYA I just start chlorinating with either Tri-Chlor pucks or Di-Chlor powder, whichever I have on hand.

PhantomAndy
05-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I just use a nice large gym sock (tube sock) fill it with the appropriate amount of stabilizer and let it soak in the skimmer basket.

BigSplash
05-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I just use a nice large gym sock (tube sock) fill it with the appropriate amount of stabilizer and let it soak in the skimmer basket.

And the Winner is Tube sock. :D :D :D

PhantomAndy
05-11-2006, 01:21 PM
On another note - iv'e heard old panty hose (or Knee Highs) do a swell job too.

Avid
05-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Whenever I feel the need to raise my CYA I just start chlorinating with either Tri-Chlor pucks or Di-Chlor powder, whichever I have on hand.

That's what I do.

PatL34
05-11-2006, 09:26 PM
This is the way I do it.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=1139

Pat

brent.roberts
05-12-2006, 04:36 PM
A thought on the idea of dumping directly into the skimmer.

CYA is an acid. If you have sand or DE for a filter I don't see a problem, but if you have a cartridge filter I might be concerned about the filter, especially if there is a few pounds of it in the filter tank and the pump goes off for a while. The concentration might build up and do some damage. Depends on the cartridge filter material and I don't know what it is.

If you dump it into a skimmer sock, make sure the pump stays on and the kids or pets keep out of it until its gone.