PDA

View Full Version : How to check for DE filter "leak"?

jkmhb
06-23-2011, 10:53 PM
I have a DE grid filter w/ a multi valve and am getting a small amount of DE back in the pool (but it's hard to tell for sure or if it's just dirt). I am getting abnormal algae issues compared to normal which also makes me suspect something is wrong.

A visual check of the filter appears fine, no torn grids, and I put a new spring in the multi valve.

But is there any way to tell for sure, maybe something I can put in the skimmer to tell if my DE filter is leaking or not?

Thanks.....

Manslick
06-24-2011, 11:58 AM
If you have DE coming out of the inlets then you have too much DE in the filter.

Backwash it thoroughly and weigh out the proper amount of fresh DE. Mix it into slurry in a big bucket. Start the filter, release any trapped air and pour the DE in the skimmer.

Excess algae can cause this also. Dealing with algae is another topic all together.

ryano
06-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Be sure to check each of the grids thoroughly. I've had several (Hayward Pro-Grid) come un-stitched at the bottom end.
If you have the grid assembly apart, look down the tube (from the top) of each grid for cracks and breaks.
Breaks will be obvious when looking through the hole, and the broken plastic can cut through the fabric.

But I think Manslick is right, sounds like too much DE