PDA

View Full Version : Auto Chlorine Feeder

stuckpipe
06-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Just a question, should one fill the auto chlorine feeder with just a few tabs or load it full each time it runs empty? Any suggested best practice or lessons learned. I am thinking if I fill it to the top, the first couple of cycles it will shock the pool somewhat and lower the pH some. But then I could also cut back the rate a little too. Any thoughts?

aylad
06-24-2011, 05:46 AM
As far as I know, the rate ofchlorine feeding into the pool depends on where you have the flow rate set, not how many pucks are in the feeder, so I really think how many pucks to add depends on how often you want to refill it.

You're not going to be able to shock the pool using pucks, i t will never feed enough chlrine at one time, so you need to use another chlorine source for that.

Janet

waste
06-24-2011, 09:01 PM
As Jan said, the unit will only introduce a certain amount of chlorine every 24 hours, and it's not enough to shock the pool.

However, you are correct in that putting more pucks in the canister will result in more chlorine being delivered to the pool at any given setting. I have 2 small pools with CL 220 feeders and if I put more than 2 pucks in them at a time, they will overchlorinate the pools in a couple of hours, even at the lowest setting.

I'd use the chlorinator to maintain ~ 1 ppm at the hottest part s of the day and with highest pool use and supplement with bleach when you need to shock or add extra chlorine. (you'll have to play around with # of pucks in the chlorinator and feed setting to find the 'sweet spot')