PDA

View Full Version : Chlorine Lock

pkhydro
06-21-2011, 01:28 PM
I recently moved in to a house that has a pool. My first pool. After my local pool expert lead me into a chlorine lock and started telling me about the two options for a remedy I started looking on the net and wound up here. I am still reading at this point and the first thing I will do is buy a quality test kit so that I will be able to report back with good information.

aylad
06-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you here!!

We highly recommend the K-2006 or K-2006C kit that can be bought either from the Amazon link in my sig (but only if Amato Ind. is the seller--some of the other sellers are substituting a different kit that's not as good) or online from taylortechnologies.com or spspoolspas.com.

In the meantime, the 6-way drop kit from WalMart that sells for around $20 can help us help you get started. Run a set of tests, post them here, and we'll be glad to help!!

Janet

CarlD
06-21-2011, 03:53 PM
You'll find that there is no such thing as "Chlorine Lock". It means that your stabilizer (CYA) level is far higher than we generally recommend and regular levels of chlorine won't keep your pool sanitary. However, with the test kit we recommend (an FAS-DPD chlorine test kit) you can measure much higher chlorine levels and still swim safely and comfortably.

"Chlorine Lock" is a direct result of excessive use of chlorine tablets and "Di-Chlor" powder, both of which release massive amounts of stabilizer even when you don't want anymore.

You CAN use these chemicals without getting into the situation called "Chlorine Lock" but that involves regular testing of your pool water. I test for stabilizer (CYA) levels every single week. That way I know how to compensate.

Carl

pkhydro
06-22-2011, 09:17 PM
24' round, 14,500 gal, 52" deep

From start to finish:
Pool turned green
added 3 lbs shock
nothing
pool store said 3 lbs shock that day
and 3 lbs the next
pool turned light green
took water sample to pool store and got the chlorine lock story
Their test showed:
CYA 39
TC 10
FC 0
PH 7.8
TA 189
as per instructions added 5lbs shocks wait 5 hours add 5 additional pounds
I started reading here and decided to add 6 gal bleach
24 hrs later I used 2 different test strips. Aquachem and Bioguard

Results Aquachem:
total hardness 100
TC 0
FC 1
PH 7.2
TA 120 - 180, closer to 180
CYA 0-5, closer to five

Results Bioguard:
Bromine 2
FC 1
PH 7.6
TA 180

Water is a powder blue color. Cloudy and can't see bottom

k-2006 test kit on the way

Next step?

PoolDoc
06-22-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm a little puzzled, but if you add 2 gallons of bleach each evening, while we wait for your K2006, that should keep anything from getting worse. If you see chlorine levels over 5 in the evening, before dosing, cut the dose to 1 gallon.

The test strip comparison is interesting.

pkhydro
06-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Just got back from the pool store and their test showed:
CYA 43
TC .8
FC 0
PH 7.4
TA 153
Tot Hardness 94

I'll add the 2 gallons of bleach as you say. They recommended vacuuming. Thoughts?

I had left out one piece of information earlier. I installed a new Hayward pump and filter. Not necessarily to correct this problem.

Watermom
06-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Vacuum if the pool is dirty but as far as helping with keeping chlorine in the pool, it is not going to have any effect.

pkhydro
06-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Vacuumming was to aid in clearing the water. I would only do this if there is actually something to vacuum.

But for now, I should just concentrate on the chlorine?

Watermom
06-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Yes. Concentrate on the chlorine.

pkhydro
06-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Ok, pool is still cloudy. While vacuuming I ran across an area that threw out some green stuff. A small area maybe four feet in diameter and kind of in the middle.

But, I received my Taylors and:

FC = 2ppm
TC = 1ppm
PH = 7.4
TA = 170
CH = 120
CYA = 30

Saturation Index = -1.15

Water Temp is 90 according to my meat thermometer

Water is cloudy.

PoolDoc
06-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Your TA is too high, but nothing to worry about at the moment . . . except that you'll need to keep adding acid to keep you pH below 7.8

BUT . . . your chlorine is too low! Are you adding 2 gallons of bleach each PM?

CarlD
06-29-2011, 09:57 AM
If you have the Taylor FAS-DPD test kit you cannot get "FC =2 and TC=1". Perhaps you mean CC= 1 rather than TC?
Rule: TC = FC + CC. Therefore TC can NEVER be less than FC.

Carl