PDA

View Full Version : No kit yet -- Opened Pool -- What Should I do?

AnnaE
05-08-2006, 10:51 PM
I ordered Ben's kit in mid April. I'm sure it's on it's way, but we opened our pool yesterday. The water was very clear and we filled it up to the skimmer and started our pump running. We added 2 jugs (96 ounces) of regular bleach into the pool today and ran the pump for 7 hours.

Any suggestions of what else I should do while waiting for my kit? I read Ben's post about mailing out the kits, so I'm sure it should be arriving any day now. I don't want to purchase another kit in the meantime, not if I don't have to.

My above-ground pool is 24 feet round by 54 inches high. I have a DE filter. I also have the Nature 2 filter, but took out the cartridge. So, it's empty. I also have the automatic chlorinator, but did not put in any chlorine tablets.

Any advice as to what I should do to keep my pool in relatively good condition until I get my kit and post the numbers?

Thanks.

Watermom
05-08-2006, 11:22 PM
I understand you not wanting to buy another kit. However, in the meantime, we really can't know what to suggest without having some numbers. Can you take a sample to a pool store at least for a reading. Just don't buy anything there. It would also probably be a good idea to at least go to Walmart and buy a cheap OTO kit.

AnnaE
05-09-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks Watermom.

If I don't receive the kit today, I will run out tomorrow, since I'm working from home on Wednesday. Thanks!! :)

AnnaE
05-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Got the Walmart OTO kit and here are my results:

CL -- the water was really clear after I added the 5 drops. It doesn't even look like it's the lowest level, which is .5

BR -- same results as above; the lowest level is 1

PH -- looks to be between 7.8 and 8.2; so I'd say it's about an 8

The kit did not test for CYA.

Based on the kit, it looks like my PH is okay, but my CL and BR are too low? What should I do?

I estimate my pool to be about 15,000 gallons.

Thanks. :)

MarkC
05-10-2006, 08:07 AM
I would bring your pH down below 8; chlorine is not that effective above 7.8 to 8. I would shoot for 7.2-7.6. My pool tends to want to run at 7.8 so I don't fight it except when I open and need to shock. I'll be the first to admit I am not the resident expert here on water chemistry.

duraleigh
05-10-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi, Anna,

Mark's advice is solid.....I'd put in one quart of muriatic acid (pump running) and retest in a few hours or so. Be prepared to add another quart if pH is still 7.8 or more.

This evening, I would add 4 gallons of 6% Clorox. That'll shock your pool and clean up any developing organics.

I'd also put in 3lbs of CYA. Don't back wash for at least 4-5 days or until you test at least 30ppm. :)

rhosk
05-10-2006, 09:27 AM
I'd also put in 3lbs of CYA. Don't back wash for at least 4-5 days or until you test at least 30ppm.

The kit did not test for CYA.
I think Dave S. must've misread something. Don't add any CYA until you're able to test it :)

duraleigh
05-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I think Dave S. must've misread something. Don't add any CYA until you're able to test it :)

Hi Ron,Anna,

Ooops!! I was somehow thinking it was a new pool. Thanks, Ron, good catch. :o :o

aylad
05-10-2006, 12:20 PM
You don't have Br (bromine) in your pool--disregard that scale, and pay attention only to the pH and Cl on that test block. If your Cl is registering low (or nonexistant), add enough bleach to get your Cl up to at least 3 ppm. YOu also need to test for CYA asap, because if it's high then you need to take the Cl up higher.

And I'm with Ron on the CYA thing--chances are you don't have any in your pool, but if you do, you don't want to add any more, so don't do so until you've tested for it!

Janet

AnnaE
05-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks all for your help.

Is there a way for me to test CYA if it's not in the Walmart OTO kit? Should I bring a water sample to the pool store?

In the meantime since I don't know what the CYA is, should I still add the bleach and muriatic acid or do I wait until I know what the CYA is?

duraleigh
05-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Hi, Anna,

I think you should add just the acid for now. Sooner rather than later. That'll get your pH in line.

Yes, get your CYA tested at the pool store and post back as soon as you can.

It wouldn't hurt to put the Cl in there now but the most effective dosage will be after we know your CYA.

If it's gonna' be days before you get your CYA results, go ahead and put the Cl in anyway....you need some preventative sanitizer. :)

AnnaE
05-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi Dave,

We put in another jug of chlorine this morning (96 ounces) and have the pump running. I will run to Home Depot to buy the acid and stop at the pool store to get my water tested.

Is there a calculator to figure out how much acid to put in my pool (approximately 15,000 gallons) and how much chlorine I should be putting in also?

Thanks so much!

Anna

duraleigh
05-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Search for a post by mwsmith2....there's a handy calculator in his signature.

Post your CYA test as soon as you can....probably 0 but post it up. :)

AnnaE
05-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Thanks Dave.

It's been raining two days solid with temps in the 40's. We've just kept the pump running about 6-8 hours per day and added one jug (96 ounce) of chlorine.

Still hoping to get my kit soon. But, since today is Saturday and I don't have to work, I will take my pool water to be tested at Leslie's pool supply. I promise I won't buy anything!!!! :o

Anna

duraleigh
05-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Anna, if they test CYA @ zero, get three lbs from them and put it in your pool. This should bring you to about 30ppm and will help you keep Cl in the pool. If they test higher than zero, buy enough to bring your CYA up to 30-40ppm (you have 13,500 gallons in your pool).

Your gonna' need some more Cl. Buy some bleach while you are out and we'll help you on quantity when you post some test results. :)

AnnaE
05-14-2006, 08:55 PM
I brought a sample of my pool water to Leslie's and here are the results:

Free Chlorine: 0
Total Available Chlorine: 0
Water PH: 80
Total Alkalinity: 110
Calcium Harness: 210
Cyanuric Acid (CYA): 0
Total Dissolved Solids: 550
Copper/Iron: 0
Phosphates: (150) -- I don't know why this is in parentheses?

Per Leslie's Sales Manager, I added 1 pint of muratic acid. 4 hours later, I added 4 gallons of bleach.

I will add 3 pounds of CYA tomorrow.

Water is still very clear and I will test the water again in about 3 days. Any suggestions as to what else I should do?

Thanks in advance for all your help!! :D

Anna

Watermom
05-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Keep working to get your ph in the range of 7.4-7.6. Wait a few hours after adding doses of muriatic acid to let it circulate. Then retest and redose til you get it down.

It will take about a week for the cya to dissolve. Add it to the skimmer (don't broadcast it across the pool like some containers tell you to) and then don't retest for it, add more or backwash for a week. Until you start to get a cya reading, it will be tough to keep any chlorine in your pool. You'll need to test morning and evening and each time, add enough bleach to take your FC back up to about 5. (In your pool, each quart of 6% bleach will raise your cl reading by 1ppm.) After the cya begins to dissolve, you'll be able to just test and dose it with bleach in the evenings. (Adding 4 gallons of bleach was way too much for your pool. In a 15,000 gallon pool, 4 gallons would take your cl reading up to 16 which is way too high when you have no cya. I hope it doesn't bleach out your liner!)

Hope this helps.

AnnaE
05-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Thank you Watermom.

Per Leslie's Sales Manager, I added 1 pint of muratic acid. 4 hours later, I added 4 gallons of bleach.

Sorry, it was 2 gallons of bleach -- typo. I was typing too fast and typed 4 gallons instead of 2. I hope 2 gallons was still okay.

Thanks and I will do as you suggested and will let you all know how I do.

Anna :)

Watermom
05-15-2006, 01:58 PM
2 gallons would have taken it up to around 8ppm which is OK. I'm glad it wasn't 4 gallons!:eek:

AnnaE
05-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi all,

I got my kit yesterday and took my first test with Ben's kit this morning. Here are my results:

FC 3
CC .5
TC 3.5
PH 7.5
Alk 150
Cal 200
CYA Below 20, I'd probably say 10 or 15? It was getting harder to see the black spot, but I was still able to see it at 20.

I put in 3 pounds of CYA last Tuesday evening while watching American Idol. It looks like I could use more CYA. Should I wait another day and retest or should I go ahead and add more CYA?

Thanks.

Anna

P.S. When I use the calculator to figure how many gallons of water is in my pool, does it take into consideration that you don't fill the pool up all the way? It only goes up to the top of the skimmer, some days it's a little lower and some days it's higher. (Call me anal.........) :p

duraleigh
05-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi Anna,

It looks like you've done well getting your water in shape. How does it look? If it's really clear, you can just maintain it there and enjoy your pool.

If it's still a little murky, I don't believe you ever reached shock level with the Cl. Using the calc, bring your Cl up in the evening to around 12-16ppm and run your pump 24/7. That should get rid of that .5 CC and really clear your water. Again, if your water looks good, just maintain your current Cl level

Your 3lbs of CYA should've brought you up in the 25-30 range. I would not be in a big hurry to add more. Test again in the next day or so and, if your test results are consistent, bring that level up to around 30 or so (use the bleach calc).

The calculator makes no allowance for not filling up. Calculate using the actual water depth.

Good work!! :)

AnnaE
05-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks so much! The water is very clear. I will test again in a couple of days. We're going to turn on the heater and that might change some things. The water temp currently is about 60 degrees. Memorial Day weekend should be in the high 80's or low 90's -- at least that's what they are predicting.

Thanks to you and everyone on this forum. This has been the easiest pool opening ever.

Anna