PDA

View Full Version : Help with small pool

Stacie
06-18-2011, 06:44 PM
recently purchased a 14 foot by 42 inches self rising ring pool. Do I really need all these chemicals for such a small pool? The water is crystal clear after being up for 2 weeks. I have on hand 1inch chlorination cubes and shock granules? the pump has a filter which allows you to drop the 1 inch tabs into the center of the filter.....do I really need more than this? And how many tabs does a pool this size need? Its 2700 gallons. What should my levels be on a pool this size? ugh...help! Any info on a small pool like this would be wonderful.

Watermom
06-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi, Stacie,
It really doesn't matter what size a pool is or what its volume is, the water chemistry is the same. Unless you planning on draining it and refilling it every time it turns green!

What is the ingredient in the chlorination cubes and in the shock granules? It is probably trichlor cubes and dichlor granules would be my guess. They are both fine to use for awhile. The problem is that continuous use of them causes the CYA to build up too high. The chlorine level that you need in a pool is based on the CYA level. Take a look at the Best Guess chart in my signature for more about that. Many people do not realize this and they use those products so long that their CYA level gets pretty high but they continue to keep their chlorine levels the same. Then they can't figure out why they have algae when they are doing the same thing they have always done.

I know it probably sounds crazy but pool water chemistry is the same for a 2700 gallon pool as it is for a 27,000 gallon or a 100,000 gallon pool.

Do you have a test kit? We need a set of current water testing results taken with a drops based kit.

Post with some numbers and the requested ingredient info and we'll help you figure out the easiest way to maintain your pool.

Welcome to the Pool Forum. We are glad to have you here!