PDA

View Full Version : Opening to a cloudy pool, CYA gone

sharknj
06-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Here are my readings when I closed last fall compared to today. It’s a 24K gallon in-ground pool, with a SWG which isn't running yet.

Closing - Today
FC 13.0 - 0.0
CC 0.0 - 0.0
pH 7.5 - 6.8 (I added 18 inches of low pH well water last week)
Alk 60 - 40
CYA 50 - 0

The water was slightly cloudy and the liner was coated with what appeared to be pollen, even though it's been covered since closing. I added 4.5 gallons of bleach which should bring it to 10 to 11 ppm, which I'm guessing is shock level with no CYA. I have the pool cover on about two thirds to try to prevent the sun from eating up the choline. Not sure if it's relevant, but I also added a quart of Jack’s Purple Stuff (I had previously added 3 quarts while bringing the water level up 18 inches last week- I’ve had bad iron staining in past years). I brushed the walls thoroughly. 3 hours later the water is very cloudy- I can barely see the drains. My FC is now 1.0 and CC is 5.5.

The last time I opened with no CYA, I had a pink algae problem a few weeks later. Could pink algae be using up the CYA? What should I tackle first? Keep adding bleach until no CC? Bring up the CYA? Bring up the pH? All three? Any help would be greatly appreciated! -Steve

Watermom
06-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Keep adding bleach. Sometimes people who close with a CYA level open to none. We see it all the time. It is caused by the biodegradation of the CYA. You can read more about it here:

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/spring-swimming-pool-startup-problems.html

Keep adding bleach. Test numerous times per day, the more often the better! Each time add more bleach. It may take a lot of bleach and several days, but eventually, the FC level will hold and the CC will diminish.

You also need to bring your pH up with some Borax. Also, use some baking soda to bring up your alk. Don't worry about adding CYA yet. You can do that after you get this issue taken care of first.

Run the pump 24/7 while you are working on this. Glad to see you back around the forum this year!

sharknj
06-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks! I just read the article and it sounds like exactly what I have going on. I added the Borax and I'll bring up the alk with baking soda once the pH hits 7.5. Pump is running 24/7 and the pool cover comes off first thing tomorrow. I guess it's time to start looking for bleach sales!

I was planning to start running my chlorine generator to help keep the chlorine level up. But the article clearly states not to, so I definitely won't. I am curious as to why though.

Thanks again for your help. I'll post back with my progress.

aylad
06-21-2011, 05:12 PM
You can seriously shorten your cell life by requiring your SWCG to keep up with this kind of chlorine demand, which is one reason why you use it to keep the chlorine level up under normal circumstances, but use bleach when trying to correct a problem.

Janet