PDA

View Full Version : DIG 220 "Add salt 356 lbs"

tthurman
05-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Our pool was finished almost a year ago sort of anyway....

I have no idea how much salt they used when they installed the Pool Pilot but found it very odd that all last summer I never had to add anything. Slightly less than 30 K pool with a 60 cell.

I just opened about a week ago and during start up my Pool Pilot would state "add salt 47 lbs" then just a few seconds later it would drop to the 20 lb range then no more message.

Fast forward to yesterday and we pull out our new 18 x 40 16 mil solar cover and fight to get it on the pool to let it settle before attaching it to the reel. I get home this afternoon and start working around the lawn and as usual check things out and everything is normal. Then right before I come in for the night I check the Pool Pilot and it is saying "Add salt 365 lbs".

This seems a bit odd to me that suddenly it is so low! Is it?
It also seems odd that never did I add anything to it last year.

PatL34
05-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Our pool was finished almost a year ago sort of anyway....

I have no idea how much salt they used when they installed the Pool Pilot but found it very odd that all last summer I never had to add anything. Slightly less than 30 K pool with a 60 cell.

I just opened about a week ago and during start up my Pool Pilot would state "add salt 47 lbs" then just a few seconds later it would drop to the 20 lb range then no more message.

Fast forward to yesterday and we pull out our new 18 x 40 16 mil solar cover and fight to get it on the pool to let it settle before attaching it to the reel. I get home this afternoon and start working around the lawn and as usual check things out and everything is normal. Then right before I come in for the night I check the Pool Pilot and it is saying "Add salt 365 lbs".

This seems a bit odd to me that suddenly it is so low! Is it?
It also seems odd that never did I add anything to it last year.

I would check to see that the contacts to the trisensor are clean after the winter, and that inner parts are also clean. You can do that by removing the screw on the threeway connector, and easing it out carefully. The sensors may have to be cleaned with dilute Muriatic acid. Reconnect and see what happens. It has been my experience that more problems are cused by bad or corroded electrical contacts than anything else.

Hope this helps.

Pat

tthurman
05-08-2006, 10:38 PM
I'll give it a try. I have some MA in the garage I was using last fall. How much should I dilute it? Just with tap water?

Thanks

PatL34
05-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Just make a mixture of 1 part acid to 3 parts of water. ADD THE ACID TO THE WATER, AND NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND.

Wear goggles and chemical gloves, and keep the kids away.

"Little Willie's dead and gone.
His face you'll see no more.
For what he thought was H2O,
Was H2SO4."

The same for Muriatic acid. Be careful.

Pat

LostboyinVA
05-09-2006, 01:42 PM
How much temperature change are you getting in the pool? The built in Salt measurement systems are temperature sensative. If the temp has dropped a lot since you opened that may be why you have see the add salt message. My PPM has been reading between 2.5 and 2.8 since I openned the pool depending on temp. 2.5 at 55-60, 2.8 at 68-70. 2.5 is on the low end for my SWG system, but 2.8 is about right so I haven't added any salt yet.

tthurman
05-09-2006, 02:53 PM
I opened a week and a half ago at about 67 and have seen the temp climb to 74 during a hot day but it has been cloudy the last couple days so it is back around 67 -69 currently.