PDA

View Full Version : Pool water evaporation

Reefdiver
06-16-2011, 07:25 PM
I have noticed this year more than most years that my pool water is dropping more than usual or is it?. I don't know if it is my imagination or I have a leak? I have combed the pool and cannot find nothing leaking, other than a really slow drip that I know about, I mean I probably lose more water skimming the pool than this leak.

I live in the North East and we have had little rain, if any and it was hot and humid for a couple of weeks, but has cooled off to about the 80's and low humidity. I have backwashed a couple times this week, but really quick cause I vacuumed. Also nobody has been in the pool this week. So what is normal evaporation? It seems like it dropped about 1" 1/2 -2" on it's own this week? I actually have a plain view of sight from my desk to the skimmer and I watch it daily. Help!!

aylad
06-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Normally, we recommend doing a "bucket test" to check for leaks vs. evaporation. If you fill a bucket partially full with pool water, set it on the steps, and mark the water lines inside and outside the bucket, you'll be able to tell if the pool is losing water faster than the bucket is. If so, then you check for a leak somewhere. If not, you know it's evaporation.

Janet