PDA

View Full Version : brand of salt for swg

mikewaterskis
05-08-2006, 04:26 PM
what brand of salt does anyone use for there SWG? I see Morton pool salt? any good??

tonyl
05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I use the solar salt (blue bag)...can pick it up almost anywhere like WalMart, etc.

waterbear
05-08-2006, 07:54 PM
check this thread for more info on salt for SWGs
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=560

Hope this helps.:)

Phillbo
05-24-2006, 11:51 AM
So, are you guys saying the Mortons Pool Salt is not good to use ? I jut picked up a few bag on sale at Lowes.

waterbear
05-24-2006, 12:02 PM
ANY salt that is at least 99.5% pure and has no additives for iron or keeping a water softener clean is fine to use. Morton pool salt is one of the salts that I use but it is not necessarily the cheapest one that is ok. It's primary advantage over solar salt or pellets is that it has very small crystals that dissolve faster. Diamond Crystal pool salt has even smaller crystals than Morton and dissovles even faster but in my area is the most expensive plain salt that I have found at about $10/bag. I buy Morton pool salt at the grocery store. Two different chains carry it in my area (Publix and Winn Dixie)
(Phillbo, If you follow the link in my first post I basically said the same thing that I said here but in more detail in the linked thread.)

Salt is salt is salt is salt as long as it is at least 99.5% pure and has no additives. Pellets dissolve the slowest but may have the highest purity. Solar dissolves faster but can be not quite at pure at pellets. Pool salt is the same as solar as far as purity but the crstals are smaller so it dissoves faster. Brushing your pool after adding the salt in any form will help it dissolve. IMHO, the best salt is the cheapest and easiest available one that meets the requirements.:D Once in the water they ALL just becomes Na+ and Cl- ions.;)

Phillbo
05-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Gottcha .... thanks.