PDA

View Full Version : pump very loud

sunofthebeach
05-08-2006, 03:37 PM
I opened my pool Friday. There was a layer of “dust” on the bottom. I sucked it up with the vacuum. My pump sounded normal from the time I started it to the time I backwashed it for the 1st time. During backwash the pump started to be louder then normal. I finished the backwash and unscrewed the container to the pump basket. The basket was filled with the pollen dust and gunk. So much so that the strainer basket held water.

When I put everything back together and ran the pump, it was loud again. It is twice as loud as normal.

Also, I have my backwash line running to 1.5 inch pvc pipe underground to the back of my yard, about 100 feet. (This is the set up I have used for the last 2 seasons)

My pump and filter only has 2 full swim seasons on it.

Anyone know what happened to my pump?

JohnT
05-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Check the impeller for "crud" that might have gotten past the basket.

sunofthebeach
05-09-2006, 09:16 AM
I was goofing with the pump last night. I believe the sound is not comming from the electric motor, but the impeller, like you said.

I am not sure how to get to the impeller.

this is the pump I have http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Filters-and-Pumps/Jacuzzi-Pool-Pumps-and-Filters/Jacuzzi-Magnum-Force-Pool-Pumps-in-ground-pools/

I have tried to put my hand in the hole that sucks in the water but I can't reach in far enough.

Do I unscrew the motor?

Bleach=Chlorine?
05-09-2006, 12:54 PM
If you disconnect the motor from the pump you should be able to get to the impeller. Judging from the photo it looks like there is bracket of sorts between them. I know on my old American Products motor there was an old fashioned circular locking bracket that seperated the motor from the pump