PDA

View Full Version : Which SaltWater Chlorinator

Pages : [1] 2

bassadict69
03-26-2006, 11:17 AM
I know there was LOADS of info on these things before the crash but now we seem to be starting from scratch.

Anyway, Which one of these seem to be the best? And what exactly should I be looking for once I start shopping for one?

Anyone have any negatives they have run into from using one?

SJohnson
03-26-2006, 04:30 PM
The top two seem to be:

1. AutoPilot - http://www.autopilot.com
2. AquaRite, by Goldline/Haward - http://www.goldlinecontrols.com

The Autopilot automatically adjusts the chlorine output based on water temps, while the AquaRite doesn't. Otherwise, they seem pretty similar. I just researched all of this recently and ended up going with the AquaRite, since I was already getting the AquaLogic control system. I probably would have gone with the AutoPilot, had I not been getting Goldline's controller, already.

From what I've read, you typically need to add more acid to keep your ph in check as the SWG's raise ph a little . . . Other than that, I've read nothing but good things about them. Most people say that it takes them as close to a maintenance free pool as possible. Actually AutoPilot has a new system, the Total Control System that incorporates an automatic acid resevoir into the mix, so you don't have to add acid manually. Haven't heard much about this as it's brand new . . . I heard about it from one of the companies I got quotes from. Priced at $1200 w/ a pool contract.

Sean, the autopilot and SWG expert on this forum, should probably chime in soon . . . Can't beat the PoolForum!!! Thanks again to Ben and all the other experts here.

-SJohnson

Katy-Texas
03-26-2006, 07:02 PM
I have Aqua Logic PS8 control system and TurboCell salt generator in service for 10 months installed by pool builder with zero problem.

Wanted the rechargeable wireless remote but pool builder wanted too much $$$ so I ordered myself from www.h2opoolproducts.com with wireless base station and wireless water-resistant hockey puck for beside spa as too many people seem to have problems with hardwired spa buttons. Builder said it was cheaper than he could get it here in Texas . . . . have fun . . . :)

SJohnson
03-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Another thing. I bought AquaRite cell and flow sensor on ebay for around $400. Again, that's all I needed since I was paying for the AquaLogic controls already. There are some good deals on these if you hunt for them . . .

SJohnson

mwsmith2
03-27-2006, 08:21 AM
I've got the aquarite. Installed it myself, works great, no problems. I didn't see the need for the extra bells 'n whistles of the autopilot, and I've had no problem setting and maintaing a good Cl level, even in the trying climate of the Houston, TX area.

Michael

txhomebrew
03-27-2006, 09:08 AM
We have the Watermaid on our 13k gunite and love it. However no one has addressed the corrision issue on an aboveground pool. You have a lot of steel to be considered. I would check your pools warranty.

just a thought,

Tha Beerman

mas985
03-27-2006, 11:14 AM
I also have the aqualogic and am pretty happy with it. The aqualogic also has a built in controller so you get the full controller and SWG in one unit.

Mark

waterbear
03-27-2006, 01:09 PM
I have the Auqalogic PS-8 and I love it! It not only generates chlorine but it controls my filter pump, water features, heat pump, spa blower, spa and pool lights. spa and pool valves, and my fiber optics for the water features. I have the wireless table top remote and the floating spa remote. My pool contractor recommended it. If I didn't want the automation he said the Autopilot did offer some more bells and whistles but both were excellent units. I have no regrets about choosing the Aqualogic!

Poolsean
03-27-2006, 06:35 PM
WHEW....finally back! Hello friends.
I think the replies are there...though sadly, not enough AutoPilot users. Aquarite makes a good system. It's really all a matter of what you are looking for. Sure AutoPilot offers a bit more bells and whistles, but all in all, the views of this forum are fairly neutral for both systems.

This new format sure is weird and will take some getting use to. But sure am glad it's back in operation.

waterbear
03-27-2006, 06:54 PM
I think the replies are there...though sadly, not enough AutoPilot users. Aquarite makes a good system. It's really all a matter of what you are looking for. Sure AutoPilot offers a bit more bells and whistles, but all in all, the views of this forum are fairly neutral for both systems.

This new format sure is weird and will take some getting use to. But sure am glad it's back in operation.
I do have to say that if I had not opted for automation I would have chosen the Autopilot becuase of some of it's features lacking in the Aquarite and Aqualogic.

Mark_WATERMAID
03-27-2006, 09:53 PM
Beerman touched on it but I think that it needs to be made clear. We dont recomend putting a salt system on an above ground pool unless it has composite walls and bottom track. A typical above ground has painted steel or aluminum walls that are held at the bottom by a U channel. water that splashes out of the pool runs down the walls fills the track and evaporates. It keeps doing this untill there is a very high and corrosive salt level in the channel and the pool corrodes.

Mark Manning
Watermaid Canada
www.watermaid.ca
mark@watermaid.ca

semenzato
03-27-2006, 10:25 PM
I for one picked the Autopilot because it seemed a slightly safer bet. I installed it myself and didn't have to worry about flow thanks to the bypass valve (too much flow is not ideal for the generator, probably because it prevents the "instantaneous shocking" that gets rid of chlorine residuals---there may be other reasons). I also like the temperature compensation, and the fact that the unit works with an external timer, or it can use its own timer, to control itself as well as a one or two-speed pump. (Some of these features may be available on the Aquarite, I can't remember). The price difference is not substantial, once you include installation cost. It took me about 5 hours to install, but I fixed a few extra kludges in the boiler/pool equipment room while I was at it (rerouted ugly copper tubing, cleaned up electrical stuff, etc.)

Luigi

s0undone
03-28-2006, 08:03 AM
When I was putting my pool package together with the pool store sales person he never indicated any issues of the salt coroding the pool. Same with the place I bought the SWC. When I read this thread I became concerned I made a bad choice so investiged. My conclusions have been:

Many of the newer AG's are made of aluminum and composite. These materials do not corode the same as regular steel.

The diluted amount of salt in the pool is minimal and no where near the amount in ocean waters. My understanding is I will not even be able to detect the taste of salt in the pool.

I am no expert. I do feel at ease now for todays installation of the pool and salt chlorinator. This forum is so helpful for a newbie. Thanks!

SJohnson
03-28-2006, 01:41 PM
I didn't realize that we were talking about AG pools on this thread . . . In that case, it's worth mentioning that Goldline has another SWC for AG pools, called the AquaTrol. Not sure what the advantage is, but they make two versions . . .

SJohnson

cajunfla
03-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Can anyone tell me anything about ATLANTIS CHLORINE GENERATORS?
I know they are one of the few, maybe only, that offer a 10 year warranty on the control unit.

rrwcm
04-01-2006, 02:07 PM
I just installed the AutoPilot Digital 220/SC-60 salt water chlorine generator on my 18x36 inground vinyl lined pool (approx 25000 gals). I did the installation myself and had no problems. Most of my time was spent changing my out-of-date electrical connection (I decided to add a exterior 30 amp 220 volt subpanel) and cutting out my chlorine feeder from the DE filter return and adding the AutoPilot manifold. I wired the AutoPilot to control my one-speed pump (it has 2 on-off cycles you can program). Everything was so easy that I was almost afraid to power up the system - I actually decided to sleep on it and reread the manual first! The system came on beautifully and I added the salt - it took overnight for the AutoPilot to fully recognize the 520 pounds of salt - it then reported 3100 PPM. I have no experience with other systems but I can say that I am very impressed with the AutoPilot.

Poolsean
04-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Bill,

Can I share your quote with other interested pool owners?

hzz
04-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Same experience as Bill. I installed the Autopilot myself a couple of years ago.

I like the bells and whistles.Previously I ran my pump 24/7. Now I use the Autopilot to control it and have cut it down considerably.

I also really liked the manifold and bypass valve......that way the water pressure through the cell is regulated automatically.

It doesn't hurt that Sean is here to help with any problems that may arise.
I can tell you from first hand experience that Autopilot's customer service can't be beat.

Just getting ready to open the pool here in Toronto....this will be my third season with the Autopilot, and so far, so good.

rrwcm
04-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Sean... please feel free to quote my experience with the AutoPilot.

All... I am not affilated with AutoPilot - I just want to share my favorable experience with this device. It is impressive!

Phillbo
04-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Any opinions on the Ecomatic system?

Poolsean
04-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Sean... please feel free to quote my experience with the AutoPilot.

All... I am not affilated with AutoPilot - I just want to share my favorable experience with this device. It is impressive!

SWEET. Thanks Bill.

mrmrk49
04-22-2006, 05:15 PM
The top two seem to be:

1. AutoPilot - http://www.autopilot.com
2. AquaRite, by Goldline/Haward - http://www.goldlinecontrols.com

The Autopilot automatically adjusts the chlorine output based on water temps, while the AquaRite doesn't. Otherwise, they seem pretty similar.
-SJohnson

How do these 2 systems measure temperature and salt concentration? Seperate sensors & wires?

Mike K

Poolsean
04-23-2006, 01:58 AM
Pool Pilot provides a dedicated tri-sensor that tests for salt, flow and water temperature. The Digital unit will also provide the amount of salt needed to maintain 3000 ppm, as long as the pool volume is appropriately programmed into the menu. The temperature sensor works in conjunction with the automatic temperature compensation, in which the output is automatically adjusted higher or lower, depending on the water temperature changes.

Aquarite provides a flow switch and displays salt levels based upon the cell amperage and voltage. It can be fairly accurate as long as your salt level is maintained, water temperatures are steady and cell is not scaled for failing. This will provide a reasonably accurate salt level.

Hope this helps.

mrmrk49
04-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Pool Pilot provides a dedicated tri-sensor that tests for salt, flow and water temperature. The Digital unit will also provide the amount of salt needed to maintain 3000 ppm, as long as the pool volume is appropriately programmed into the menu. The temperature sensor works in conjunction with the automatic temperature compensation, in which the output is automatically adjusted higher or lower, depending on the water temperature changes.

Aquarite provides a flow switch and displays salt levels based upon the cell amperage and voltage. It can be fairly accurate as long as your salt level is maintained, water temperatures are steady and cell is not scaled for failing. This will provide a reasonably accurate salt level.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

That's a lot of "IFs" for the Aquarite to be "fairly accurate"!

ohpoolboy
04-24-2006, 02:58 PM
I have a question about installing an Autopilot system yourself. My pool builder has given me a quote to install an Autopilot system in our new ig pool. The quote seems to be about 50 to 60% higher than the price of the system on the Autopilot web site. I understand the cost of installation, profit, etc but that seems to be a little too high of a markup.

Being an engineer and a fairly handy individual, I was toying with the idea of purchasing the system and installing it myself. Posts by rrwcn and hzz have given me encouragement.

However I have a few questions.

1) What are the benefits of having the pool company install the system (warranty, service, etc)? Is it worth the additional cost? Actually, a better question might be "what are the pit falls of NOT having the pool company install it?"

2) If I do opt to install the system myself after the pool is built, what plumbing considerations do I need to be aware of while the pool is being built?

Right now I have ordered an in-line chlorine system that would be replaced by the Autopilot.

Thanks,

Anthony

rrwcm
04-25-2006, 08:00 PM
1) What are the benefits of having the pool company install the system (warranty, service, etc)? Is it worth the additional cost? Actually, a better question might be "what are the pit falls of NOT having the pool company install it?"

2) If I do opt to install the system myself after the pool is built, what plumbing considerations do I need to be aware of while the pool is being built?

My advice:

1) The installation is very simple - download the manual and check it out. I see no advantage to paying someone to do this. Many times I have paid extra to have someone do a job for me and then later dissapointed in the service after the sale!

2) Plan now for the AutoPilot! The Control box should be mounted out of direct rain and sunlight. I simply inserted a small piece of plywood into the bottom of a topless Rubbermaid box and mounted it on a post (my location was behind a fence and out-of-sight), cut the lower end out, and the Control box fit nicely inside. I then used two pieces of 3/4 inch liquid tight conduit to protect the wires connecting the AutoPilot to the Manifold and Cell (the conduit lies across a foot path and I wanted to protect them). These wires are 12 feet long so be sure to figure this in when deciding where to locate the AutoPilot Control. The Manifold assembly needs about 26 inches between the filter return and the pipe out of the ground - I had only 14 inches after removing my tablet chlorinator so I had to rotate my DE filter to get the return pipe further away.

The AutoPilot is well engineered and the installation is simple. You can do it!

ohpoolboy
04-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Is there any special procedure for converting a pool from chlorine to a SWG?

KurtV
04-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Is there any special procedure for converting a pool from chlorine to a SWG?

No, an SWG pool (or SWC as some prefer) is a chlorine pool. The chlorine is just introduced in a different way (produced by the SWG cell vice pouring it in in the form of bleach or adding it through an inline chlorinator, or through a floating chlorinator, or etc.).

Davenj
04-27-2006, 11:54 PM
I had the pool company install the manifold when the pool was being built, at no extra charge. Gave them back the inline chlorinator and asked to have the SWG plumbed instead. Electrical sub didn't know what to do with the Autopilot to hook a 2 speed pump to it. I wired it myself, very simple job. Using Ben's test kit and mwsmith2's calculator the pool company (training) rep was amazed when he saw our pool. I actually enjoy taking care of the pool now, don't have to do much, compared to pools I've had in the past.

The Pool Newbie
04-28-2006, 09:19 AM
I had the pool company install the manifold when the pool was being built, at no extra charge. Gave them back the inline chlorinator and asked to have the SWG plumbed instead. Electrical sub didn't know what to do with the Autopilot to hook a 2 speed pump to it. I wired it myself, very simple job. Using Ben's test kit and mwsmith2's calculator the pool company (training) rep was amazed when he saw our pool. I actually enjoy taking care of the pool now, don't have to do much, compared to pools I've had in the past.

I did basically the same thing... Pool Contractor wanted an arm and a leg or two so I bought it myself (Pool pilot) online and he agreed to plumb it in a wire it for me... I saved probably a thousand bucks but he kept a happy customer! =) It is very straightforward though and feel I could have done it myself if he hadn't agreed! Pool Pilot rocks!

papa6
06-01-2006, 01:52 AM
I have a 21 yr old Fox pool with approx 20000 gallons. I would like to go to a SWG system but am really confused about what brand to go with. I currently have several pentair products (heater,pump,sand filter,and even a Kreepy Krauly) and so far I've been happy with their products. The PB is pushing the Intellichlor IC40 by Pentair, but if it is so good.....why am I not hearing all the happy stories? Someone please help me out here. I'm not dedicated to any certain brand, I just want a SWG that will do the job and not give me problems.
Thanks

PS. Sean you are making the AutoPilot look really tempting!

slater1182
06-07-2006, 01:55 AM
Does anyone know an SWG intaller in the Phx, AZ area. How much would installation cost for in ground pool? any ball park ranges?

mshumack
06-07-2006, 02:36 PM
The PB is pushing the Intellichlor IC40 by Pentair, but if it is so good.....why am I not hearing all the happy stories?!

I have the Pentair IC40 and so does my neighbor. Its a realitively new product just starting to get marketed heavily by Pentair. I called Pentair back in December when I first heard of it form my Pentair dealer. Their sales guy said they took the best of the other brands and built the IC420/40. That's what you'd expect them to say. I have been very pleased with the product but about a week ago the "add salt" came on and stayed on - and my pool has pleanty of salt. I am trying to resolve this issue as I write but that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy Pentair again. I also use the Pentair IntelliTouch controller, pumps, lights, and filter.

Poolsean
06-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks papa. let me know if you need any specific information on the Pool Pilot by emailing me directly.

pj1016
06-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I've had my AquaRite installed for a year now, and I love it.

Simple to use and maintain; very accurate control.

HTH,

pj

Pool_Mike
07-06-2006, 09:48 PM
found out I will be go'ing with the Aqua Rite SWCG and not the Zodiac since my builder only warrenty the Aqua Rite. So my main question is on the cell, how ofter would you need to add a new one?1-3 years?

waterbear
07-07-2006, 06:12 PM
cells are rated in hours of use so it depends but if you watch your salt levels, pH, and calcium; clean the cell when needed; and don't use the unit to superchlorinate but shock with bleach instead a good estimate would be maybe 5 years if the cell is sized properly for your pool (the bigger the pool, the shorter the life since you will need to run it at a higher output percentage to maintain the chlorine level).

Ready2swim
07-11-2006, 08:55 AM
I am still not hearing much about the Pentair system...does anyone else know anything about it?

papa6
08-08-2006, 02:09 AM
Well, I finally did it. I went with the AutoPilot and could'nt be happier! I did'nt post right away because I wanted to give an accurate report of it's performance. The truth is.....I'm shocked at how good it works!!! This is the easiest season I've ever had as far as water maintenance and also the best our pool has EVER looked! I've had more compliments on our pool in the last month and a half than I did in the first 20 years! I initially wanted a SWG to save money on chlorine, but I'm finding out the big winner is the quality of our water (very important with 6 grandkids).
Thanks Sean for taking the time to answer questions on this forum for pool-dummies like me, also thank you to Tim for returning my call and actually giving me a phone number to call back.
The unit I purchased was DIG-220 SC 48. Hope this helps.

Papa6

rrwcm
08-09-2006, 07:17 AM
I just want to echo Papa6's comments about the AutoPilot. I installed mine over 4 months ago (did the installation myself) and have been AMAZED at how beautiful the water has been with almost no maintenance. I've added about 4 gallon of bleach and probably 4 or 5 cups of acid - THAT's ALL. It works so well that I must confess that I sometimes forget about it. I have no reservations with recommending the AutoPilot to anyone... it's well worth the initial cost!

isamisis
08-15-2006, 07:53 PM
I've been reviewing SWG for a couple of months. I thought I had it narrowed down to a Zodiac DuoClear and an Autopilot. I reviewed most of the ones already discussed here and elsewhere in the forum. I read all the install/user manuals to try and make an intelligent decision. I live in Phx, AZ and my pool remodel was finished in June so getting the best SWG that works the way I want became very important. I couldn't find anything about the success or failures of the Zodiac and I'm not an optimistic gambler so I decided to go with the Autopilot after reading through these great posts. Thank you everyone for helping me fill in the blanks.

mabrolat
09-03-2006, 01:23 AM
About to start a new IG pool and was planning to go with Autopilot Digital...then PB suggested I look at "Total Control." Is it worth it? What do I get for the extra grand?

cwstnsko
09-03-2006, 01:34 AM
If I could upgrade my Autopilot Digital to a Total Control for only $1000, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 1) you get a system that turns itself on and off by actually measuring the ORP of the water rather than just running XX% of the time. 2) you get pH monitored continuously and acid added automatically to maintain the proper pH.

I've considered the upgrade myself, but I've been told it's closer to $2500 installed. I don't believe my Pool-Pilot Digital is compatible with the Total Control Controller, and I don't think an upgrade plan is in effect yet.

skystone
05-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Has anyone had any experience with ChlorEase Saltwater Chlorinator? We need a budget priced generator, and this certainly fills the bill for us; found it for $179.75, better than the original $269.

Comments?

Thanks, ST

Aggie 88
05-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Uneducated question. If you convert to a Aquarite or Pool Pilot, can you still use your indoor controller for Spa, Waterfall, cleaner, etc?

Poolsean
05-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Aggie,

Yes. The Salt Chlorine Generator would connect to your Electronic Control System on the same relay that operates your filter pump. Whenever the pump comes on, the salt system will generate chlorine.

skystone
05-31-2007, 12:13 AM
So how complicated is it to install an chlorine generator? Can we DIY or do we need help? We can install ceiling fans and do basic wiring.

Poolsean
05-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Electrical:
With some systems, you can select to operate your main filter from the salt system, or from your normal time clock. The electrical would depend on this.
To control your pump via salt system: you MUST be connected to LINE power. Meaning that your salt system will get power directly from the circuit breaker, and replace your external time clock. The electrical should match the voltage of your pump.
To continue controlling your pump via external time clock, you must be connected to LOAD power. Meaning it should be wired to the same location that your filter pump is. When the pump turns on, the salt system is on also.
(Pool Pilot can be wired in either configuration)

Plumbing:
Cells vary in length from about 9" to 18", depending on the manufacturer and cell design. You will need to cut out this section of pipe on your return line. Some systems are directly in line (Pool Pilot provides a manifold assembly, approx 12"),and some require 90 degree elbows up to the cell and the cell must be horizontal.
The cell placement should be after all your other equipment.
If you have a pool/spa combo, the cell must be in the pool return line.

If you can install a ceiling fan, you can do this. The only tricky part is if you have limited space in your plumbing or very old, brittle pipes to fit the cell in.

If you want to, you can send photos of your equipment area, particularly after the pump and filter (and heater?), and I can suggest locations to install the cell.

Hope this helps.

rrwcm
06-01-2007, 09:45 AM
So how complicated is it to install an chlorine generator? Can we DIY or do we need help? We can install ceiling fans and do basic wiring.

See my earlier post:
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showpost.php?p=4604&postcount=26
You should be able to do it yourself. Take time to carefully plan where you will locate the control panel as I described. I have been very satisfied with my Autopilot system.

MikeO
03-01-2008, 03:29 PM

Poolsean,
I have a Viking Fiberglass Pool 16X38 (16500) gallons with a cartridge filter. I have been debating over SWG for 3 years and I'm now ready to take the plunge (LOL excuse the bad pun) I am in sales like you and I would like you convince me why I should buy AutoPilot. I have a friend that sells the Goldline Controls product, and will give me good deal, but saw your responses to the clueless masses (like myself) on this post, would value your opinion. I live in a fairly tempurate region (Coastal SE North Carolina) and use the pool about 6-7 months (no heater) and AM TIRED OF CHLORINE & CHEMICALS. Any help will be appreciated. I am ready to do this soon. Thanks, Mike