PDA

View Full Version : Change pump to save $$$ and better for solar system?

salinda
05-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi! I have a 37000 gallon IG pool/spa combo. I have a 2 hp pool pump and another 2hp pump dedicated to spa jets.

My system is operating at 22 psi with solar off and 29 psi with solar on. I think this is way too high and I am wasting energy from the 2 hp WhisperFlo pump. Also, I would have to run it 12 hours for 2x turnover daily. I don't do that now and the pool water is still clear, but I know I am playing with fire.

I have a solar system right now, but I believe that it was improperly plumbed for my pool mechanics. It is on the roof of a one story house. At these pressures, they should have plumbed the return to a line that is isolated from the system pressure, like the spa fill.

I am considering changing the pool pump to a smaller hp or 2-speed and running 24x7. I did a calculation and it appears that the 2-speed would save me $200 a month in operating costs. It would also be better for my solar system, right?

Maybe a dumb question here, but will I get enough flow to skim the pool adequately?
What is everyone's recommendations on all of this?