PDA

View Full Version : CYA Test is Clear

earlybird
06-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Hello!

I have an Intex 15' x 42" easy set pool (inflatable ring kind). I have been having issues with my CYA testing (I have tested twice since opening the pool). Both tests have been completely clear. Background: When I opened the pool I shocked and I did add the amount of stabilizer noted on the bottle for my size pool. I have had problems with bringing down the alkalinity (our water out of the faucet here must be astronomically high!). It was over 300 I'm sure when I started this process. My pH has always been pretty much dead on and chlorine levels have not been a problem. The pool was cloudy a few days after opening, so I have been working on getting the TA down by lowering my pH, it took several weeks and now the water is crystal clear, I have no chlorine odor and am very happy from that aspect. I change filters about every third day. I am continuing to work on my TA to get it to opimal levels, and I understand that will just take time. It has come down and sits currently at about 190.

So now it is just the CYA level I am worried about. As stated previous I have tested twice since opening the pool and both times it stayed completely clear. So I guess I have two questions - do I really need to worry about the CYA level in this size pool if I am having no problems with the water? I am pretty religious about checking levels and adding appropriate chlorine as needed. The pH I am still working with for the TA, but even that is not a problem. And if I do need to worry about CYA in this pool, what suggestions do you have?

I am using a 5-way test kit from Walmart (shame on me, I know, but my husband about had a coronary when I told him I got the pool, let alone how much it was to start it up and maintian it! So I am on pool budget restriction...)

I have been bumping around on the site for awhile and have gained a lot of knowledge, so I really appreciate this forum!

Thanks so much!

Watermom
06-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi earlybird,
Why don't you go ahead and post a complete set of current readings. Also, give us the volume and exactly what all you have put in the pool thus far -- meaning ingredients and not just "shock." Then, somebody can take a look and better advise you.

Welcome to the forum!

aylad
06-12-2011, 04:24 PM
If you removed the cartridge within a day or two after adding your stabilizer, if the stabilizer was added via the skimmer, then you've probably removed it with the cartridge.

Along with the info watermom requested, also please tell us whether you added liquid or granules for CYA, and did you broadcast it, hang it in the sock, or put it in the skimmer? HOw long did you wait after the CYA addition to test for it?

Janet