PDA

View Full Version : Getting new pool installed

flubby
06-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Im planning to get a large vinyl liner pool installed. The builders are grossly overcharging for add-ons like the salt water chlorine generator, heat pump, water feature pump, Jandy Touchlink wired control system. Does anyone have an opinion on whether these can be easily installed afterwards by most electricians or plumbers, or am I better off paying the extra $4000-$5000 and have the pool builder supply & install. Thank You

CarlD
06-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Well, each item is different. A heat pump that puts out 100K BTU can run $3000 for the unit alone. Installation of $1000 should include all permits, wiring, plumbing, plus warranty.

But if people think they "gotcha", they charge insane amounts. I had an electrician "suggest" I raise lights over my garage. Inside, where he'd have access to the wiring was all open framing as we were remodeling. So how much did he want to move these two fixtures up about 8 feet? $600! Told him, flat out, "No way!"

Then we decided to put in a home theater in the remodeled space. The "expert" would include flat screen TV, AV receiver, DVD (not even Blu-Ray) and 5.1 speakers, wanted (and I kid you not!) $20,000!!!!!

He was introduced to the door, politely, but very, very quickly....The system went in, with far more features, including internet access, Blu-Ray, video games, cassette deck, and VHS and home networking of movies, and 7.1 speakers for a FRACTION of what he wanted. You could take a luxury vacation (or two!) on what I saved, and I STILL got a far better sounding and looking system. Plus, since I designed it and wired it (in the walls before the rock went up), I know EVERYTHING there is to know about it. I won't say I saved half the cost, because I saved far more than that...FAR more!

Carl