PDA

View Full Version : need help leveling

tleigh0212
06-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, and a new pool owner. I have a Summer Escapes 15' x 42" above ground, metal frame pool. My backyard "looks" pretty flat, but obviously it isn't (as I learned 4,000 gallons later). It comes out to be about a 2.5-3in. difference, it's a very slow, gradual difference, but I've finally decided on draining it to fix it so my mind can rest. So my question is, I really want to avoid draining completely, I'd like to still leave maybe a few inches of water in. Since it's just unlevel on the one side would it be possible with help to lift that end and throw some dirt under to level it out? I know it wouldn't level it perfect, but if it could do it just enough to get me through the summer. And this may sound even crazier (like I said, this is my first pool, I don't know very much about them) would it be possible if we had several people pull the ground cloth and it move the pool about a foot in a different direction. I know that could possibly puncture, but I didn't know if with the ground cloth if that would prevent it or what. Just please give me any advice on what's the easiest way to fix this problem!!

vermont
06-10-2011, 01:08 PM
I did something like what you're describing with my pool - thought I had it level but discovered it wasn't, so I drained most of it down to a few inches and then sort of rolled it over to one side to rake some more dirt from the high spots to the low spots underneath it. My pool is not a metal frame one, though, so I'm not sure if it would be workable the same way. It's also smaller - mine is only 12' diameter. It does seem to have worked for me so far.
Be careful of your backs if you try to pull the pool - I was surprised at how heavy mine was, even with only a little water in it.

anaberration
06-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Hello, I am new to the forum but I have had my Intex 16'x42" pool for 4 years now. I too "thought" I had the area level on my 1st setup. Hahaha. Boy was I wrong.
My suggestion (which you will not like at 1st) is drain it completely. It sucks, I know, but drain it completely. That 3" difference is alot of water and with stress from users can cause a collapse and injuries. Now I am not an alarmist and I am not saying the sky is falling but hey 1 gallon of water weighs over 8 lbs...To level mine correctly before my 2nd attempt 4 years ago and every year since, I find the center and use a "straight" 2"x4" 10' long with a pivot hole drilled about 2 inches from one end. I sink a piece of allthread in the center.
That is in the center and I have attached 3 levels to it, with a 4' piece of string on the other end. I walk the circle again and again and again and again using a flat shovel to get those high and low areas right. Just my suggestion and yeah it sucks to waste all that water but I sleep just fine knowing I level it correctly every year. Good luck.

CarlD
06-10-2011, 07:09 PM
A Big Tall Dumb Guy (aka BTDG) gave almost exactly the same suggestion. It's a good one..

Carl