PDA

View Full Version : Clarifiers

Seahorse
06-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Do you use them -I do sometimes but I`m wondering if this is just a gimick.

:)

aylad
06-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Generally, clarifiers are not necessary, if you stay on top of your chlorine and CYA levels. That being said, there are very, very rare situations when a clarifier is helpful-- when you have particles that are just too small to filter out. Last year I replaced my filter and filled it with zeosand--and then turned it on to "filter" without rinsing first. That created a mud pit that would not clear after 2+ weeks of filtering. In that case, a clarifier cleared it in 24 hours. But that's a very rare necessity, and a mistake Ill never make again!! :0)

Janet

Manslick
06-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I used some this year because the pool guy said to.

I bought a spring opening kit from Leslie’s that included a bottle of Ultra Bright and I followed the directions to the letter.

I can’t swear it did anything but my water is almost invisible.

It claims to remove even the smallest particles. This intrigued me. How is this possible? So google tells me it somehow coagulates tiny particles into larger ones that can be caught by the filter.

In my case, with a DE filter, I probably poured money down the rabbit hole.

Ingredient PolydimethyldiallyammoniumChloride – what’s this? Aluminum salt?

CarlD
06-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Polyquat's also good for this. It's the only additive I ever use. Not sure if your stuff, Manslick, is the same.
Polyquat is poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride]

Manslick
06-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Polyquat's also good for this. It's the only additive I ever use. Not sure if your stuff, Manslick, is the same.
Polyquat is poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride]

How close is lead to gold? :)

I doubt I'll use UB again.