PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to add CYA???

bobcat
06-07-2011, 02:12 PM
New liner, new water...no CYA. Trichlor pucks for awhile (if so how long?), or just go to the pool store and buy some CYA????

Watermom
06-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Either way will work. I always just add CYA separately but trichlor is fine to use. For every 10 ppm of FC added by trichlor you are also adding 6 ppm of CYA. Can't tell you specifically how long you can use pucks. Just test your CYA periodically and keep a watch on it.

bobcat
06-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks, do I keep adding bleach while using the pucks as well?
Also, did you see my other question about putting the pucks in the skimmer basket?

aylad
06-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Take a look at the "best guess" chart linked in my sig. You needto maintain enough chlorine to stay above. The minimum for your CYA level. The pucks alone will probably be enough at first, but as your CYA comes up, you'll probably need to add bleach too. It's fine to use both, just don'tlet them come in direct contact with each other. Also, while using pucks, keep an eye on your pH-- the pucks will tend to drive it down.

Janet

AnnaK
06-07-2011, 04:08 PM
To answer your question, the fastest way to add CYA is to get the pre-dissolved liquid stabilizer at the pool store. It's pricey but it puts CYA in right away, no waiting for it to dissolve.

chem geek
06-07-2011, 09:15 PM
If one is also shocking, then one can use Dichlor which dissolves quickly and will also add CYA (adds 9 ppm CYA for every 10 ppm FC), but if you need to add a lot and aren't needing a lot of chlorine, then the Natural Chemistry® Instant Conditioner® (http://naturalchemistry.com/pool_spa/products/instant_conditioner.html) that Anna mentioned is the way to go.

bobcat
06-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks All, Ok...went to pool store and bought 4 lbs of "conditioner" and made sure it was 100% cyanuric acid. Put about one pound in a sock and hung it from the return about 7pm, ran pump all night. Checked this morning and all was disovled. Checked CYA and the black dot never disappered! Do I do another sock full today, or wait? I've learned (from you) that I don't want to overshoot the CYA. How long does it take for the CYA to show up? I also added more bleach last night and it was still there this morning. Thanks again for all your help!

Watermom
06-08-2011, 10:51 AM
What is the volume of the pool? Go ahead and add another lb. for now. Since we don't know your volume, can't recommend more than that at this time.

bobcat
06-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Sorry, pool is AG 16x32x4, =14,000 gal. I think?

Watermom
06-08-2011, 11:16 AM
For reference, in a 14K pool, every pound of CYA will increase the reading by about 10ppm. Hope that helps.