PDA

View Full Version : Question about CYA reagent R-0013

Yeggim
06-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Last year after reading this forum I went and bought a HTH 6 way test kit to tide me over till I got a better one. Since it was late in the season, I put that off till this year. Last years HTH CYA test put me in the 90's. I replaced about a third of my water this year. I ordered more CYA reagent R-0013 and today's test shows less than 30. I went with a start up shock based on an approximation range of 60 CYA. Looks like I hammered the bejesus out of my pool with bleach. No problems though, water looks great, no liner fade and today's test:

FC=10
CC=0

I used the HTH comparator tube and mixing bottle (7 ml of pool water and 7 ml of reagent) with the new reagent R-0013.

My question, is this reagent a standard strength and is it compatible with the HTH mixing bottle volume and the volume vs.height of the HTH comparator tube?

CarlD
06-07-2011, 01:29 PM
It should be. You mix r-0013 with pool water on the same 1:1 ratio. I wouldn't be surprised if HTH bought their reagents in bulk from Taylor.

Carl

Yeggim
06-07-2011, 02:16 PM
It should be. You mix r-0013 with pool water on the same 1:1 ratio. I wouldn't be surprised if HTH bought their reagents in bulk from Taylor.

Carl

Thank you sir. I went back to the site where I ordered and they sell the comparator tube and mixing bottle. The mixing bottle is the same (7 ml of pool water and 7 ml of reagent) and the tube looks the same.

Looks like I had some CYA breakdown. Maybe it needed that hammering. I'm tickled pink to have a significant lowering of CYA. Now I can use up some of my left over Dichlor. According to Pool Calc, I put about 90 ppm of chlorine (5 gallons of 12% bleach and a pound of CalHypo)in the pool (7600 gal AGP). That's over a 6 day period ending today. Now that I have the FAS-DPD test I'll be able to somewhat corroborate that low CYA.

Whadda ya figure? I'm at 10 FC now (11:00 hours). I can still see the black dot with the tube filled ( cloudy but black dot is still distinct). I could have little or no CYA. I figure to lose about half of FC by sundown? Sunny here with scattered clouds and in the high 80's.

Watermom
06-07-2011, 02:39 PM
There really is no way to know how much chlorine you'll lose. If your solution got somewhat cloudy, I would say that you have some CYA in there as opposed to none. If you are showing less than 30 and you haven't added any within the last week, maybe add just a little. Maybe enough to add 10ppm. So, even if you are at 30, that would just take you to 40 which would be a good level. A week after adding it, test again and see where you are then. At that point, you can decide if you need to tweak it any.

Yeggim
06-07-2011, 03:41 PM
There really is no way to know how much chlorine you'll lose. If your solution got somewhat cloudy, I would say that you have some CYA in there as opposed to none. If you are showing less than 30 and you haven't added any within the last week, maybe add just a little. Maybe enough to add 10ppm. So, even if you are at 30, that would just take you to 40 which would be a good level. A week after adding it, test again and see where you are then. At that point, you can decide if you need to tweak it any.I'll know exactly later this evening. FAS-DPD kit came this morning. :) :) I'm gonna go with 30 too. First thing I learned from Ben and you guys is know your CYA. I figure I'll be able to use up about 20 oz's of old Dichlor to bump it up ten. It takes 1.8 ozs of Dichlor to raise chlorine in my pool 1 ppm. Am I right in assuming that Dichlor has a 10 to 9 ratio of chlorine to cya?

aylad
06-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Yes, you've got it...glad your pool is looking good, and have fun with your kit! :)

Janet

Yeggim
06-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Yes, you've got it...glad your pool is looking good, and have fun with your kit! :)

Janet

This is more funner than my first chemistry kit. That one only came with 4 bottles. I think they were fire, water, earth and wind.

waterbear
06-10-2011, 05:54 AM
FWIW, the HTH kit does use Taylor reagents and is rebranded by HTH. (The HTH test strips are rebranded Taylor ones also, btw).