PDA

View Full Version : Please advise with levels

Digger
06-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi all! I have clear water, but trying to get chems adjusted. I tested last night and here are the readings: PH:7.6, Alk: 75, FC 1.5, CC .5, Cyn Acid: 32, Calcium 80 that was a violet color, didn't know if I should add to get more blue? The only things I added were Chlorine, and Stabalizer. Hows it looking? Can't find my stinking notebook from last year, LOL! will show up in a safe place. Thanks so much!

madwil
06-06-2011, 01:23 PM
overall, not bad... at CYA 30, you should maintain your FC 3-6, but you said you added chlorine. Adding more CYA should be done cautiously- you don't want to much!
As far as the test turning blue- add 1 more drop, and see if color changes more; the endpoint is reached when 1 drop doesn't change the color anymore, and you don't count the last drop (the one that didn't change color any!)

Watermom
06-06-2011, 04:31 PM
As far as testing calcium hardness, Digger if I remember correctly, you have a vinyl pool. Is that correct? If so, don't even bother with testing for calcium hardness. Vinyl pools don't need calcium. You're not using cal-hypo, right? Only bleach?

Digger
06-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I have an inground pool vinyl liner, you are correct. so I will make notes that I don't need to bother ever testing Calcium Hardness

Digger
06-06-2011, 06:21 PM
What should I do than? Cautiously add more stablizer, so I can maintain lower chlorine levels?

Digger
06-06-2011, 06:24 PM
I lost my notes from last year, I will have to reread some of the posts on here. I don't fully understand what levels are suppose to be? I was going by my Taylor testing book. And 1.5 TC and CC of .5 sounded good, I thought? Sounded like CYA could go up some? But, I know it is crucial to not get too much, because the way I remember it works against you, and you can't remove

Watermom
06-06-2011, 06:47 PM
You are right --- you don't want too much CYA because it is hard to remove if you have too much. How long has it been since you added the stabilizer (CYA)?

By the way, instead of making three posts within minutes of each other, you can just click on the edit button in the lower right of the post and then just add whatever you need to.

Good levels:
pH -- 7.2-7.8 but usually 7.4-7.6 is what I prefer
TA (alk) -- 80-120
CYA 35-50 (but different climates may have different needs here)
Chlorine --- depends on what your CYA level is. See the "Best Guess Table" link in my signature below.

Digger
06-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. Sorry, oops didn't know that with posting! Will try next time. I added CYA 2 nights ago with the sock method by the return. Wondering if I should try to add a little more, maybe just a scooper or so? Thanks!:D

Watermom
06-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Do NOT add any more CYA at this point. Wait about a week and then retest and see what the level is. Your reported your reading as being 32 but we want to make sure it is all totally dissolved before adding more. Keep the chlorine between 3-6 all the time for now. When you retest the CYA next week, if it has gone up much, we'll tweak that recommendation, but for now, 3-6ppm should be your range for your chlorine.