PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Test Kit

MaxxFusion
06-03-2011, 02:25 PM
I see the K-2006 is the popular choice. What are the thoughts on an electronic tester? I am just looking to save time and not have to mess with the drops of the standard testers.

Also with the taylor kits how long are the drops good for? Is it a single season?

CarlD
06-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Well, you can use anything you want. It's your pool

But for accurate measures there's the k2006, its re-badged equiv at Leslies, the TFP kit and that's it. (You can assemble the components but...it's still an FAS-DPD drop test)
I can't give you all the chapter and verse about why Ort systems or whatever are unreliable. If you store your kit in a cool, dry place where it doesn't get hit by sun, and don't let your chems get contaminated, they can last years longer than the "expires by" length of time.

If you want quick and easy, you can use Hach or Lamotte strips, but I don't recommend them as your only test system. The Hach Silver ones have TC, FC, pH, TA, CH and CYA. LaMotte has a similar strip. These are the two best strips out there (IMHO)

Carl

madwil
06-03-2011, 02:57 PM
the electric test systems really don't test actual chemical levels- they test conductivity and such and "assume" the changes in conductivity is due to chlorine or salt or whatever.
This can lead to very accurate results when chlorine is only possible chemical that affects conductivity, but inaccurate when you add other things (like salt) that also affect conductivity.

Super-simplified, but that's ultimately why the Ort system has issues, at least part of the time.

CarlD
06-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks, madwil. That's about the cleanest explanation of what the limit of Ort testing is.

Carl