PDA

View Full Version : GFCI Circuit on the Pool Light

markintosh
06-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi all! I have an inground that I just drained so I'm trying to do some repairs before I refill. One of these is the light. I have a Sta-Rite Sunlite kit installed in our deep end that stopped working last summer. I've got the housing out and am replacing the bulb, gasket, and lens (it was cracked).

In doing the work I noticed that the circuit breaker that the light is on doesn't seem to be a GFCI circuit... At least it doesn't have any sort of reset button on it or any markings indicating that it's GFCI. The pool is about 10 years old so I'm really surprised that it doesn't have this.

I have no idea about GFCI wiring. Is it a matter of replacing just the circuit itself with a GFCI one, or does the actual wiring of the light need something special? I want a GFCI circuit for the light... I have a very healthy fear of mixing electricity with water... :)

kelemvor
06-03-2011, 01:39 PM
It should be a pretty straight forward swap out in your breaker panel with the addition of the ground. Here's some instructions; just remember to turn off your main first!

http://www.ehow.com/how_4829997_replace-gfci-circuit-breaker.html

madwil
06-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Is there anything else on that circuit (especially an outside receptacle with a GFCI outlet)?
Any single circuit normally only needs 1 GFCI in it- at fuse box, or any outlet along path, I believe; is why I had a bedroom receptacle quit working- it was tied off of the adjacent bathroom GFCI!