PDA

View Full Version : NEW 30' AG pool - installing myself

khotmer
06-02-2011, 02:19 PM
My wife and I are working on the back yard to make it a "STAy'cation for us and the kids. We bought a 30' Atlantic Concord 54" deep pool and a 8' spa.

I have completed all the electrical runs which include a 100' 20amp 10/2 GFI run for the pool pump, a 50' 50amp #6 GFI run for the Hottub, and a 100' 15amp 10/2 branch run for accessories. All are run to an outdoor power center that is tied into the main. all wires were berried 20" deep in sched 40 conduit.

We hs a 1200sqr ft patio poured that was completed yesterday. Rather poorly but it is complete and we may end up placing flagstone over it to hide the poor finishing work. (The wife wanted flag stone anyway so I wonder if she told the guys to mess it up... ??? jk)

Anyway, while the contractors were forming the patio I had them rough in the pool area for me. We are in South Eastern Ohio and the soil is hard clay. They got everything within 1 inch level for the pool area. I am planning on picking up the patio blocks for the supports tomorrow and start leveling them this weekend with the use of a transit. My current plan is to set the base plates and support bars in place and mark the interior and exterior of the placement of the blocks all the way around the pool. I dont think i need to place patio block all the way around with the type of soil i have but with the money I am saving doing the work myself the extra $100 in blocks and crushed limestone i figured it would be worth it.

Once i have it marked out i planned on using my mini tiller to loosen the top 2" of the marked circle and level with the transit. then place a bed of crushed lime stone tamped in for the base then level 12x12" patio block all the way around. There will be voids between each block as they are sqr and i am not planning on cutting them but rather filling them with the now pulverized clay i dug out with the tiller and packing them in.

once that is done and everything is level i can finish grade the center of the pool area as needed and follow the assembly instructions - which are straight forward.

I wanted to great an account here as I know i will run into situation that may require an experienced ear to work through. Right now the only outstanding questions in my head are around chemicals. But figured i can ask those question when things get closer ......Like what do i need to start up a 30 25000gal pool......

I am going chlorine but reading all the info has me spinning......
to start i need to balance the PH to 7.2-8.0
check TA
add chlorine(how much)
add CYA????

the pool dealer gave me some phosphate remover Perfect pool?????

more to come.....

CarlD
06-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Let me guess: he didn't "give" you the phosphate remover, he sold it to you. If he'll take it back, return it. You'll NEVER need it if you follow our B-B-B method. Even if you do, it won't be for several years. I don't know of a single member who has had phosphate problems, or had it solved with remover.

Before you put a drop of water in the pool spend another $50 to $70 on a Taylor K-2006 test kit, that does FAS-DPD testing of chlorine. It will be the most cost-effective purchase you will ever make for your pool. Alternatives that are just as good are the Leslie's Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test Kit and the Trouble Free Pools kit (TFP100????). Taylor also has a K-2006C, but that's the same as the 2006 but with larger amounts of chemicals.

Test your fill water with your new kit, whether it's tap water or trucked-in water. Get that baseline.

I'd be aiming for an initial FC (free chlorine) level of 3-5ppm, since you'll be filling your pool with fresh water. When it's about half full add 1 gallon of 6% bleach into the water stream (so it distributes) and when it's nearly full add another gallon the same way and when it's full start your pump.

If your fill water is not in the pH range of 7.2-7.8, you'll need to adjust it up or down. To raise it, add 20 Mule Team Borax. To lower it use either Muriatic Acid or "Dry Acid" (the cheapest generic is FINE).

Now until you get sufficient stabilizer in your pool, you should check your chlorine every day and adjust as needed.

When you are at THAT point, you can start adding stabilizer. Whatever the container says to use for your size pool, use about half. Wait about a week and test CYA with your kit. Your goal is CYA at 30-50ppm

Meanwhile, do NOT add calcium to your vinyl pool...it's as big a waste of money as phosphate remover. It's for concrete or plaster pools, not vinyl, no matter WHAT the pool store says. Don't rush to raise total alkalinity either. We can walk you through that later and only if you need it.

First, you'll be looking at chlorine levels and pH. Then you'll add stabilizer. Then if those three are under control, we can talk about alkalinity and other things. If you have to raise Alkalinity, you'll use Arm&Hammer Baking soda!

Chlorine, pH, Stabilizer. That's it! That's all you'll need to start.

Carl

Watermom
06-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Welcome! While you are working on the construction aspects, take the opportunity to do a lot of reading here on the forum and also on our sister site www.poolsolutions.com . Doing this will answer a lot of your questions and also probably generate other ones. I would also suggest going ahead and ordering a good test kit. We recommend the Taylor K-2006 or 2006C which is the same kit with larger quantities of some of the most used reagents. That way, when your water is in the pool, you'll be ready to test.

Put the phosphate remover on the shelf or give it back to the dealer if you can get a credit for it. You don't need it. After doing some reading, come back with questions. We'll help you get your pool going!

khotmer
06-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys.....Ill be sure to order the test kit ...

starting today on the final grading..........

posguy
06-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Good luck with your new pool. Definatley try the BBB Method, I have been for years and it has saved me a ton of $$$$. Ive told many people about it, most think im crazy, some have tried and gave up, they think the pool stores know better, but hey, its their money.

khotmer
06-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks everyone...

So far so good... the pool is up and is filling. I was able to install the liner with no wrinkles which had me worried but it is looking good. cant wait for it to fill up!!

Thanks

Pics soon

khotmer
06-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Still waiting on my test kit to arrive.....but the 6 way strips are getting me close

Here are some progress pics...i need to get some better pics of the Pool itself.....

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p80/Khotmer/backyardprogress1.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p80/Khotmer/backyardsprogress2.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p80/Khotmer/Backyard4-1.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p80/Khotmer/Backyard6.jpg

Watermom
06-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Looks like a nice place you have!

posguy
07-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Very nice, nothing beats jumping in the pool after cutting all that grass, enjoy!