PDA

View Full Version : Need some help - dangerous chemical problem

xlar54
05-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Hi folks, new here, looking for some advice. Last year we stored a nearly full container of those small chlorine tablets (the kind you find in the while containers at walmart). This year after opening the container, I can see it has turned into a yellow liquid. I read up on this and found it has become Nitrogen trichloride, which is explosive and generally not very friendly to anything.

I have no idea how to dispose of this. Clearly dumping it isnt a good idea, nor is tossing in the trash. Im very concerned about it being anywhere near my kids and house. Hoping someone might have an idea of what to do about this stuff.

Watermom
05-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Hi xlar54. I have advised Ben that you need some help with this issue. Welcome to the forum, by the way!

PoolDoc
05-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah, been there, done that, got the "war stories".

We got to where when we went to a new pool, and found mystery chemical buckets, we'd find a broom or rake, turn our heads away, and whack the heck out of a bucket with the handle.

If it didn't explode, (usually more of a 'pop' or 'poompf') we'd drag the bucket outside, position ourselves upwind, and open it up while holding our breath. After we let it ventilate in the air and sun for awhile, we'd start using it up in the pool.

Probably, that's what you should do, too. It's the best and safest way to dispose of it.

Also, I'm guessing if you try to go the HAZMAT disposal route, you are talking about SERIOUS $$$$$$'s. Using it up in your pool is a much better option, I think.

Ben

PS. Folks, this is why I try to always encourage people to avoid storing chlorine chemicals over the winter.

PPS. The yellow droplets are probably a mix of NCl3, Cl2 and water. Regardless, the fumes will destroy your sense of smell for a day.

xlar54
05-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks. I knew checking them would be bad for the nose, so I covered up before opening. But it looks like there is hardly nothing left in terms of solid tablets - all yellow liquid. Naturally when you hear the term "explosive" you think of big balls of fire, but it doesnt quite sound like that from your example (still not to be taken lightly im sure). I think I will first try calling a local pool chemical place tomorrow, and if they cant help, and the local hazardous waste cant help, Ill do as you say and pour it into a metal bucket and let it sit.....away from the house.... Any other tips are appreciated. And yes - I will definitely be watching how much of this stuff I buy in the future!

PoolDoc
05-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Do NOT pour it into a metal bucket -- that mix will destroy most metals.

Better to just let it sit outside in the sun and air, and let it break down and ventilate away.

Ben