PDA

View Full Version : Power Washing an IG Pool???

wetshoes1
05-07-2006, 05:25 PM
I am opening my vinyl inground pool for the 1st time since I bought the house (6 yrs.). I called a pool co. & they told me they would drain the pool, while putting a vacuum behind the liner to keep it against the the wall. Then they would power wash the walls with algacide & water as the walls & water are really black & dirty.

Is this an accepted method, to power wash a vinyl liner? The co. told me there is a 50/50 chance of the liner holding up, & made me sign a disclosure. Are they just trying to get me to put in a new liner?

Please help.:confused:

Poconos
05-07-2006, 09:22 PM
If the liner is 6 years old I wouldn't even think about even draining it let alone pressure washing it. I have no experience in this area at all and I'd wait for more inputs from those here with more experience before letting them touch it.
Al

haze_1956
05-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Just need a little clarification.

You have owned the house for 6 years and the pool have been unused for that long?

Or this is just the first year you are opening it yourself?

wetshoes1
05-11-2006, 11:34 PM
I owned the house for 6 yrs & never opened up the pool (hard to believe!).

EricF
05-12-2006, 08:23 AM
How much is the powerwashing vs. a new liner? After six years of algae, etc. in the pool, I wonder if they are not giving you an optimistic estimate of a 50% chance of a favorable outcome. I personally would use the money for a new liner, as I think it will be very difficult to drain the pool and remove the stains without causing significant damage. I have to admit, though, I have never heard of powerwashing a vinyl liner.

EricF

haze_1956
05-12-2006, 10:06 AM
I think the first step is to check if the liner will even come clean.

Try scrubbing a section a foot or so down and see if the crud comes off.

If it does, then it might be worth trying to clear the water and see if you can brush the liner clean. A smaller investment before you commit to liner replacement.