PDA

View Full Version : Starting up 2011.. any suggestions

chuck9997
05-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Getting pool ready for 90-95 degree daytime highs this week here in E Tennessee. Would like to be swimming later this week. Last couple of days, ..I have been brushing walls, floor and steps.. vacuuming to waste and backwashing. General clean-up. Pool never covered or fully closed over winter months.

Here's where I am:
24ft round, AG
at 9am today
FC 18ppm
CC 0
TC 18
Ph 7.2 (may not be correct.. took reading with high FC)
TA 50
Stabilizer... almost none (pool was pretty green a few weeks ago.. started adding some bleach back then) Added about 1.5 lb of stabilizer granuals.

Last night I added enough bleach to bring to 18ppm.. reading was down to about 15ppm at 7am. (Sun starting to come up).. added another jug (182 ounces) of 6% bleach at 7am.. (above numbers at 9am)

Water looks clean.. but a little cloudy. I can see the bottom with no problem. No debris on floor. Presently running pump continuosly.. and checking about every 4 or 5 hrs. Also have a skimmer sock in the basket.

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO? ANY SUGGESTIONS?

chuck9997
05-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Oh.... by the way. Should I be "ok" with that PH reading.. or should I let FC drop and re-measure. Or just continue the "shock" levels for a day or two, or three?

aylad
05-29-2011, 03:42 PM
I wouldn't let the chlorine drop, yet....just keep it up at about the 18 ppm mark until you're not losing any chlorine between sundown and sunup. AT that point, you can let it drop. If you added the stabilizer through the skimmer, it will take 4-5 days before it completely registers in the water, so I wouldn't bother to test for it or add more until then. However,--if you have to backwash the filter, you're going to lose whatever CYA is in there, so you'll have to start over and add more.

Nothing more you can really do except give it some time and POPP--Pool owner patience and persistence!! Remember that the chlorine is killing the algae, but the filter is what will take it out, and that's where your cloudiness is coming from. Watch your filter pressure and clean your filter as it indicates. It shouldn't be but another day or two of shocking before you can let your chlorine come down--and you can adjust your other numbers then.

Janet

chuck9997
05-29-2011, 03:55 PM
thanks for confirming my thoughts.. I have been through this a few years now.. and it always amazes me what POPP will accomplish. I will continue on.