PDA

View Full Version : Is my TA too high?

poolboyforjenny
05-06-2006, 11:06 PM
After running my first test of the season everything looked like something i could deal with, no problem. Then I started reading and it seems my TA is a little too high. I figured I could drop my pH a little so that would drop the TA. Now, my question is, should i even attempt to bring the TA to what some call correct limits?
AG pool, 11k gallons, sand filter, clear water, no CC.
FC=6
ph=8.0
Alk=270
Cya=50

I will add some muriatic acid to drop my pH, and I know that will drop my Alk some, but do i need to go any further than that. Will add approx. 10oz of acid to drop my pH down to 7.6. My water looks good, and the kids are enjoying it, so i hate to mess things up now. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

duraleigh
05-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Good morning,

Short answer....yes. Once you get your pH down in the 7.2 - 7.6 range test your Alk again. If it's above 180 or so, I'd get it down around 120 anyway...100 would be probably better. :)

Thanks for posting your numbers.....that's a huge help.

CarlD
05-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Do you have a vinyl pool? If so, when the pH is correct (7.3 approx) if the T/A is 180 or less it's OK, 200 or more, you'll need to lower it, between 180 and 200 is your choice.

If you have a concrete/plaster pool, you'll need to lower it to 120. (again, AFTER you've measured it with a corrected pH).

poolboyforjenny
05-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks, I've added some muriatic acid and will retest tomorrow. Filter will run all night and tomorrow before testing. I have an above ground pool with a vinyl liner, so i will shoot for approx a TA of 180.

Thanks.