PDA

View Full Version : Problem with conversion from Baquacil! Please Help!!

mjones
05-06-2006, 08:40 PM
O.k. Thanks to all that have been helping so far. Please keep it coming. I haven't used the clorox outdoor yet, I bought it just in case, but I wasn't dare gonna put it in without asking y'all first. Just tested with a cheap drop test kit. As far as I can tell, ph is ok, I think the cl is 30!!!!! I say this because my test kit only measures to 3, so I diluted it like I read on one of the replies. I diluted 10 to 1 & it still looks like 3. Kit doesn't test anything else, but "strips":o say alk is between 80-120, hardness is 0-100, total cl is +10, fcl is +10, ph is 7.2-8?? I don't have anything to test cya. What I can't understand is why my cl levels aren't dropping at all. It has been very cloudy & rainy since Wednesday. My water is a light green shade, & very cloudy. I can see the outline of the bottom step, but can't tell that it is a step. The top step looks mostly clear, but has some brownish orange stuff that keeps getting on it. I just bought 12 more gallons of 6% bleach & 2 boxes of borax just in case I needed it. I also bought sand to change the filter out. So, what do I do next? I have been at this for 8 days now. Cl hasn't really dropped at all since Sunday or Monday. I plan to replace sand tomorrow, if that is a good idea?? Waiting on replies before I do ANYTHING else!!!! Thanks!!

duraleigh
05-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Hi, M,

Thanks for starting your own thread....this will get you lots of help.

1. I think you need to get a sample to a pool store and get some results....esp CYA and Chlorine.

2. In the meantime, your Cl number is really high. Don't put in any more 'til you can get it tested more accurately. It WILL come down on it's own...don't worry.

3. Do not replace your sand. That may very well be a waste of your time and money. Have you noticed an increase in pressure since you've been cleaning? Have you been backwashing? Are you running the pump 24/7......if not, do so.

4. That orange-brownish stuff is a good sign....I get it in my pool as well when I am filling from my pond.....it means I'm killing stuff. The cloudy part of your water is probably dead algae, too

Okay, the end result of this is I wouldn't have you do anything untill you are able to post back up some good numbers. Even if it takes you a day or two to get back to us, I don't see anything in your numbers that is a real danger sign.

The last thing I would say is you would spend money well to buy Ben's PS234 test kit. You will be on the same page with all of us and it will pay you back over and over.

Post up some numbers and relax.....I have a suspicion your pool may look a little better tomorrow. :) :)

mjones
05-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Thank You so much!! I really needed to hear something positive. I don't think that my gauge is reading right on my filter, when off it is 30-35, on 50-55, backwashing 40-45. Last year it was about 15 when on & 30 when needed to be backwashed. I have been backwashing atleast twice a day & pump is running 24/7. Will buying Ben's kit keep me from having to take my water to get it tested? The nearest pool store is about 20 miles from here, & closes at 5:30 everyday. I don't get off work until 5 so it is hard for me to get there in time. Plus, the last time that I took off early & drove all that way, they just tested it with the strips, because I watched them do it. They tested it with 2 different kinds because I was wanting it tested for metal. I will get some "real" numbers on here as soon as possible.

duraleigh
05-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Order Ben's kit tonight!!. You have to do no driving and, best of all, your results will be very accurate. My kit taught me soooo much about my pool. Don't even bother with a store that uses strips....worthless.

You should replace your guage on your filter. I think they're less than $15.00 and simply screw in with a little teflon tape. It'll help you a lot. :)

mjones
05-08-2006, 12:46 AM
24 hrs later, & cl is still way high, ph & alk is low. Water looks a tiny bit different shade today. Maybe a lighter green with a tinge of blue tint, but still very cloudy. Should I be vacuuming or something? I feel like I am wasting time by not doing anything. All I have done is backwash. If you even go near the pool, you can smell the cl. What have I done wrong?

duraleigh
05-08-2006, 07:56 AM
Good morning,

You're giving us mixed messages.
"strips" say alk is between 80-120, hardness is 0-100, total cl is +10, fcl is +10, ph is 7.2-8?? those are ok for pH and Alk.

24 hrs later, & cl is still way high, ph & alk is low.What do you mean by "high" and "low"? We cannot tell you how to get somewhere (clear water) unless we know where you are. Polish up your test results with some meaningful numbers....go to the pool store that doesn't test with strips if you have to and have your water tested.

Now, the good news......I don't think you've done anything wrong (unless you've tossed something in your pool you didn't tell us about) That smell of chlorine means your chlorine has been working and you need to add more....that's right......MORE! The problem is we can't tell you how much more 'til you give us some valid numbers.

Keep the faith....you're making more progress than you think. :) :)

mjones
05-08-2006, 09:22 AM
I'm sorry I am not very good at this! My cl is still around 30, according to the diluting thing. I diluted 10x water to 1x pool water & drop test still shows 3. My ph has been really low, 6.2, I think. My alk is 40 this morning. I added a box of borax to skimmer last night & another this morning after I got another low ph. I was told that if I didn't get my ph up, I risk damaging my liner. I will figure out how to get you some real numbers soon. I work for the city, & I think that maybe I can get our Waste Water Treatment Plant to test my water for me. Surely they have a good test kit, til I can get one.

Thanks! I am trying!:o :( :confused:

mjones
05-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Oh yeah! My husband is curious as to whether or not there is a such thing as a "digital" test kit? We aren't good at deciding which # these colors are closer to!

mjones
05-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Just got back from the Treatment Plant. This is all they could give me. I hope it will help. Fcl 8.3, total cl 8.9, ph 7.6 . I'm still gonna try to get to another pool store with my water soon. They used a digital test, so there is my answer to last post. No telling what it cost though!!

Thanks
M

duraleigh
05-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Just got back from the Treatment Plant. This is all they could give me. I hope it will help. Fcl 8.3, total cl 8.9, ph 7.6 . I'm still gonna try to get to another pool store with my water soon. They used a digital test, so there is my answer to last post. No telling what it cost though!!

Thanks
M

Hi, M,

I think you're on the right track. Order Ben's kit....you'll save that much money in gas the first month you own it. :)

I think their numbers make sense....pointing out how worthless those test strips are.

So your pH is Ok for now. You Cl is not too bad either but you need to get some more in there. You must figure out how many gallons are in your pool (download mwsmith2's calculator from this forum) and then you need to add enough Clorox to bring your Cl up to around 12ppm. I think you need more than that but I can't tell 'til you post a CYA number on the forum. Post that test up as soon as you can and, soon, your pool will clear miraculously and you will have a big smile on your face. :) :)

mjones
05-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Oops! I just realized that my thread says "Problem with conversion TO Baquacil! Please Help!!" instead of "FROM" baquacil. How can I change that? Or do I even need to?
:eek:

Watermom
05-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I fixed the title of your thread for you.

mjones
05-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Pool still doesn't look much better. Been through 28 lbs 95% granulated chlorine, 8 lbs 65% shock, 16 gallons of 6% bleach, 2 boxes borax, 1 quart of algaecide.... What is my problem? I am ready to give up!! I am doing everything like I have read & been told to do. Why will MY pool not clear up magically like everybody elses????:( It's just not fair!!:confused:

duraleigh
05-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Your problem is fairly straightforward......those of us on this forum that know how to get you to clear water need a starting point.....i.e Test results for Cl. pH. Alk, and CYA. Once those numbers are posted, we can finish getting your pool clean. Without them, we're just guessing....maybe even more than you!! :) :)

kalan
05-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Pool still doesn't look much better. Been through 28 lbs 95% granulated chlorine, 8 lbs 65% shock, 16 gallons of 6% bleach, 2 boxes borax, 1 quart of algaecide.... What is my problem? I am ready to give up!! I am doing everything like I have read & been told to do. Why will MY pool not clear up magically like everybody elses????:( It's just not fair!!:confused:
Hi, I went through the process several years ago and everything eventually worked out. In response to your question above I am going to be blunt but please be aware that I am not trying to be mean in any way!!!

Been through 28 lbs 95% granulated chlorine
You should have been using liquid chlorine only, all granulated contains cya which will not help with the conversion. you now have cya in the pool not a problem as you will have to add it later but slows down the conversion.

8 lbs 65% shock
see above

1 quart of algaecide
unecessary if properly chlirinated.

we still have not recieved good numbers from your own test kit. Without reliable numbers you are shooting in the dark at an unknown target.

diluting the pool water with water that may contain chlorine will not give you accurate results. The dilute needs to be distilled water.

I am doing everything like I have read & been told to do
Except the water testing part. You MUST get a test kit that will read above 3 ppm. More than likely they have a drop based kit at the pool store but they won't sell it unless you ask for it directly. Or your BEST BET buy the kit sold on this site!!!!!

Good luck it will all work out with time
Ken

prh129
05-09-2006, 01:05 PM
You should have been using liquid chlorine only, all granulated contains cya which will not help with the conversion. you now have cya in the pool not a problem as you will have to add it later but slows down the conversion.

Ken

Small point, but isn't granulated typically just Calcium Hypochrolorite? I don't believe it contains CYA. It will add calcium though.

kalan
05-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Small point, but isn't granulated typically just Calcium Hypochrolorite? I don't believe it contains CYA. It will add calcium though.
HI, quite true cal hypo does not contain CYA.
Ken

mjones
05-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Well, I called my pool store. They don't even have a drop test kit for themselves!!:eek: No longer MY pool store.... Anyway, there is another pool store about 30 minutes from here. I am trying to get in touch with them. The only other option that I have is the kit from Wal-mart that everyone keeps saying is no good. By the time I get Ben's kit, my water will probably be clear. Or atleast I hope so. Our Ace hardware, sales the refills for the 5 in 1 kit, but they don't have the kit.:rolleyes: The granulated stuff was before i decided to change to chlorine. Anyway, I AM trying & I WILL get some numbers up as soon as possible.
THANKS SO MUCH!!:) :) :)

mjones
05-09-2006, 10:30 PM
:D Guess what???? I have REAL numbers!! I took off work 2 hours early, and drove about 35 miles to get accurate tests... I was desperate. Here goes:

saturation index: -1.11
total dissolved solids: 100
free chlorine: 4.0
total chlorine: 4.0
combined chlorine: 0.0
ph: 7.1
cya: 8
copper: 0
iron: 0
total alk: 0
adjusted total alk: 0
calcium hardness: 0
temperature: 75
baq sanitizer: 0
baq shock: 51
Yeah I know, the shock is probably my main problem!!

O.K., So this lady freaked when I told her I was putting bleach in pool. She said it will ruin plastic components, & is not good for skin or eyes. She said that this is what I would have to do.
1. don't add anything for 5 days.
2. change sand Saturday.
3. run pump constantly.
4. test water Monday & call her with #'s.

I bought a "better" test kit from the pool store. I tested it when I got home. Everything was pretty much the same except cya. It said to mix water & solution, pour in tube with black dot in bottom until I couldn't see the black dot. So, by doing this, I got between 80-100??

Anyway, I hope this will help figure it out.
I added 5 gallons of bleach when I got home.
Just for info: I have been buying the generic bleach from Wal-mart for .99 a gallon 6%. Today when I bought more, it is $1.27 gallon. Do you think they may be catching on???:rolleyes: ;)

Thanks in advance!!
Oh, btw, pool is almost more blue than green cloud now!!

duraleigh
05-10-2006, 02:14 AM
M,

1. The pool store's advice is bogus. It's your call to do with as you like but the advice simply is not valid.

2. I think your testing of the CYA makes more sense than hers....I'm gonna' assume yours is correct. If you get a chance, post all the tests you can from your kit.......I think your results will be more accurate than pool stores......That Alk result of 0 is simply incorrect.

3. Now, since you put in five gallons of bleach after your test results, you'll need to test that again tomorrow evening. Then, if you test @5ppm or below for Cl, please put in 9 gallons of 6% clorox all at once. Yep, 9 gallons. That will raise your Cl to around 25ppm and you will take a big step towards clearing your pool. The next evening, test for Cl again and put in enough Cl to raise it back up to 25ppm......don't guess....test and calculate....get help here if you need it. You will keep doing this 'til your pool is clear, but based on what you're saying, that shouldn't be long...another couple of days probably. Do this even if your pool looks even better tomorrow (it probably will)

4. Once your water is clear, then it will be time to change the sand. Buy it now, if you like, but don't change it 'til you finish your job of clearing the pool.

mjones
05-10-2006, 10:49 AM
I’m with y’all!!:) The way I see it, you have nothing to “gain” by helping me, just doing it out of the goodness of your hearts. So, I trust your judgement. And, your judgement saves me mega bucks. Or atleast it will when my water gets clear. Oh, I forgot, she also, told me that my "conversion" is complete. How can that be if my baq shock is still 51? & why is it still 51 after all the cl i have dumped in there?:confused:

Ok, this a.m.
Cya still looks to me: 90, I can’t see the black dot when it gets to this point.
Alk: I have no clue, drop test kits says to put 25 ml of pool water, add 2 drops thiosulfate, stir, add 5 drops alk1, stir, add alk2 dropwise, counting & stirring between each drop til it turns from green to red, then multiply # of drops by 10, & that = alk. So, after 5 drops, blue, after 20 drops, yellow, after 30 & 35 drops, still yellow. Never saw red. So, I just tried the test strip, for the heck of it, it shows 80ish.
Chlorine: I am NO good at this.. I did test normal. Looked darkest pink, which is 5, tried diluting 5 to 1, still looks like a 5? But surely my cl is not 25 or 30? Is there an easier way for testing the cl?
p.h.: 6.8-7.0

But, all being said & done, I do see a MILD improvement in water. It has more of a blueish tint to the cloudiness now. Still a little green tint, but not nearly as bad as it was.

Thank you so much.
I think I am getting close too!!

duraleigh
05-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Hi, M,

Your pool is PROBABLY gonna' clear up.

That said, I just can't take you any further because your numbers are too indeterminate.

You need Ben's kit...desperately. (for example, he explains that blue to yellow color change in your Alk test) I make no money on the kit and, notice, you are not pushed to buy it at all by Ben. At some point, you will need to stop guessing or your pool will most likely return to it's very troublesome condition you started with.

Meanwhile, I still think your pool is gonna' be clear in the next 48 hours. Keeping it there may be an issue. :)

mjones
05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Well, the numbers that I got yesterday were computer tested, so you would think that they were right, but who knows.:confused: She did put 25 on the print out for alk, but she said that was only because it wouldn't take a 0.

As far as indeterminate, I think that it is just me, because I am pool ignorant. I just want to swim, that's all. :) The kit that I got has some more literature with it, but I didn't have time to read it all last night.

Anyway, Thanks for all your help.. I sure hope it clears up soon. Or I may just buy a load of dirt & fill it in. J/K :p

kalan
05-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi,
I agree the pool store numbers are bogus but I don't remember what type of pool we are dealing with. If it is vynil 25 ppm is flirting with bleaching. ( I don't think she has 80- 100 cya Where would it come from? Unlesss the granulated bleach had cya) In my opinion there is another pool store to run away from. Who are they trying to kid, bleach will ruin plastic parts, irritate eyes etc... grrrrrrrr that makes me so mad. What does the pool store think is in their pool chlorine????? heck its just a stronger version of bleach!!! I think to shoot for 15 ppm is safer till we know for sure and it will clear the pool just the same except maybe a little slower.
ken

haze_1956
05-15-2006, 08:52 AM
So this lady freaked when I told her I was putting bleach in pool. She said it will ruin plastic components

LOL

Well, that explains why they sell bleach in those "wooden kegs" !

Sometimes sales people are just plain scary !!

mjones
05-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Just an update for all:
My pool looks like a dark blue storm cloud. I have been keeping my cl @ 15, ph & alk were off the charts, so I added "a little" muratic acid to lower them. Now ph is 7.6, alk is 120, cya keeps showing 100. Changed sand in filter. It really wasn't too bad. So, now, after ALL of this, my water is STILL so cloudy that I can't even see the bottom step. But, if I take some out in a glass, it is perfectly clear.
A bit on the positive side, it smells wonderful & refreshing.

Any suggestions?

mjones
05-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Just wanted to thank all that have helped in my conversion.

I haven't got "clear" water yet, but it is on the way.
I think I have a problem with mustard algae now. Last year, while on baquacrap, we had a HUGE problem with mustard algae, & it never really went away til weather cooled off.

Anyway, I have posted a new thread in "Dealing with Algae" to try to fix that problem.

THANK YOU ALL SOOO MUCH:D

mjones
05-21-2006, 01:39 PM
GUESS WHAT??? I FINALLY have beautiful, clear water! I had to put in a couple quarts of polyquat & then a couple doses of clarifier, & presto, my water is clear. In two days time, I went from so cloudy I couldn't see the bottom of the shallow end, to seeing the main drain on the bottom of the deep end. YAY!!! I am so releived.

I still have a tiny bit of stuff that settles on bottom, but we are getting that out by vacuuming.

THANKS ALL!!!

Happy Converter

bparks
05-24-2006, 01:52 AM
I'm really happy to hear that your water has cleared up, prime pool time has arrived! I think you'll love how easy it is is to keep it crystal clear from here on out, after 4 years of following this forums advice i'm convinced there's no better way to go.