PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizer

cooper
05-20-2011, 10:30 PM
I didn't see in the BBB method what we use for stabilizer. Does this have to be bought from the pool store?

It's the stablilizer that adjusts the cya....yes?

Sorry I can get very confused....easily :o(

Thanks
Cooper

Watermom
05-20-2011, 11:29 PM
You either have to use a stabilized form or chlorine such as trichlor tabs or dichlor shock powder. If you use liquid chlorine (bleach) which we recommend for most pools, then you have to add the CYA separately. It is sometimes labeled as stabilizer or conditioner. Check the label ingredients. If it says cyanuric acid or isocyanuric acid, it is the right stuff. Sometimes you can find it other places besides a pool store like maybe Walmart. I usually just get it from the pool store.

cooper
05-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks watermom! I found some last night and put it in with a sock at the outlet. I still can't get a level this morning but I've seen where you say it takes a few days to get in there.

Cooper

CarlD
05-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Don't worry--it can take 48 hours to a week to get a reading. Don't rush it. You can ALWAYS add more CYA, but if your level is higher than you want, it's a pain to lower it.

As long as you keep checking and adjusting your chlorine, your CYA will slowly increase and you'll see your chlorine levels stabilize.

Carl

cooper
05-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Thank you Carl!

Cooper

idohair2
05-30-2011, 08:53 PM
I didn't put mine in a sock. I just poured it in slowly and over a 4 hour time period. Did I screw it up?

Watermom
05-30-2011, 09:26 PM
No, that is fine. I always put mine in through the skimmer. You'll need to keep your pump running 24/7 for the next 4 or 5 days and don't backwash or you'll just throw the CYA out. It is slow-dissolving so don't test for it for about a week.

EDIT --- After re-reading I wasn't sure; when you say that you just poured it in slowly, you did mean that you poured it into the skimmer, right?