PDA

View Full Version : Please help, green pool

micahduke
05-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Hello everyone.

i have had a pool for the past 6 years. it has always been a huge expense and nightmare to get it opened. Our local pool store was evidently solely driven to help their profits (although i didn't realize until i found this forum/website about two weeks ago). As such they have led us down the path of expensive chemicals after expensive chemicals, and we still have a green pool.

Since i found this site i have sworn off the pool store, bought a k-2006 test kit, and bought a membership to this forum, but most importantly I FOUND HOPE. All y'alls tips and expertise is a breath of fresh air. i am looking forward to getting my pool under control and gaining the knowledge to keep it there.

Ok let me to the chase. Started opening pool about a month ago. Tried using a couple of cases of 1lb shock, don't remember how many in case, but think around 10. also started running pump 24/7 and floating 3" tabs. Was going broke and very disappointed. Searched and found this forum/site. Decided to go for the BBB. For the last four days i have been trying to keep the FC around 15 to kill our algae. Still same color. think i must be doing something wrong. Can someone please help.

Readings for my Kayak above ground vinyl pool ~ 11k
FC: 16.4
CC: 0.4
PH: 7.5
Alk: 150
CYA: 55

How do i get it clear?

Thanks for your help guys!

Watermom
05-19-2011, 05:20 PM
What kind of shock are you using -- meaning ingredients? How often are you adding it and how low is the chlorine dropping before each dose? What type and size pump do you have? What kind of test kit are you using?

Don't use any more triclor tabs or dichlor shock if that is the type of shock you used because they will cause the cya level to increase and it is high enough.

micahduke
05-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks for your reply,

Sorry, i left out some info. Realized it after posted, but was moderated still so couldn't edit.

OK was using dichlor shock. NOT USING ANY MORE. Stopped about 3 weeks ago. and went to plain %6 bleach. Still have some trichlor tabs in floater. Been testing 3 times a day and adjusting to keep levels around 15-20.

Using stay rite cartridge 100sq ft. Do i need to be more specific, if so i will go look and get more info.

Watermom
05-19-2011, 05:41 PM
You're doing the right things except, take the floater out of the pool. No more trichlor; your CYA is high enough. Are there any other products you have added? There has been no change in the color since you began? Still green? Do the walls feel slimy? Do you fill from a well?

aylad
05-19-2011, 06:00 PM
I would also bump the chlorine up to 20 ppm, since the CYA has gotten so high Keeping it at 15 is walking a fine line between enough and not enough (see the Best Guess chart in Watermom's and my sigs)

Janet

micahduke
05-19-2011, 10:11 PM
You're doing the right things except, take the floater out of the pool. No more trichlor; your CYA is high enough. Are there any other products you have added? There has been no change in the color since you began? Still green? Do the walls feel slimy? Do you fill from a well?

OK 10-4 on the floater.

The only other thing i have put in was some muratic acid because the PH was high.

micahduke
05-19-2011, 10:13 PM
I would also bump the chlorine up to 20 ppm, since the CYA has gotten so high Keeping it at 15 is walking a fine line between enough and not enough (see the Best Guess chart in Watermom's and my sigs)

Janet

OK will do.

Do you think that is all that i need to do for now?

Thanks you guys for the help!

-Micah

madwil
05-20-2011, 07:19 AM
that should work for now- get the FC a little higher, and it should start clearing away...