PDA

View Full Version : new user need to search hayward perflex

waterman74
05-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Hello,

Just a new user here, I was going to search some threads about the Hayward perflex ec50ac ( no bolts).

Anyway, I have DE powder entering the pool over time, and so I figure I got a leak somewhere. I took the filter apart replaced some questionable fingers, had a small tear in the large gasket which I repaired with a tube patch. So I put it back together, I was unsure about said gasket if I had it upside down or not. So, I started pump and no leaks. Added DE, no leaks, and a bunch of DE didn't end up in the pool, so I figured I got it right. Shocked the pool, got in and swam to stir up old DE, filter pressure went up, filter started leaking pretty good ( quart a minute or so), I tightened up the bolt/ strap, but it didn't seem to help, I've got it pretty tight, but don't want to crack the filter housing. I bumped the handle and pressure went sown and no leaks. Seems like I still have some DE powder entering the pool. So, I'll take any help I can get and want to search the old threads to find out any tips with this type filter.

Thanks,

waste
05-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

Try this link (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?9189-cleaning-a-DE-filter)

waterman74
05-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for approving me, and thanks Waste... I already read that and reread it again for fun, missed a couple of things... I have never opened the bleed valve when bumping , but will from now on. Also, I got the leak fixed, gasket on right, just didn't have it tucked into the top of the filter correctly, will be getting new diaphragm gasket soon, and will replace it. still have a little DE coming into the pool, but not as much as before. pool looking great, filter working great, for some reason after fixing the filter, my pump developed a leak, replaced shaft seal and gasket on that today, now everything is working great.... one last question.... what is the best way to determine if a finger needs to be replaced? I inspected all of mine, but really only found one that I was sure was leaking. thanks again.

waterman74
05-20-2011, 08:46 PM
this is a test I just wrote 2 paragraphs and it is not showing up as a reply????

Watermom
05-20-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm going to let somebody else help you with your equipment questions but just wanted to let you know why your post didn't show up immediately. New users have to have their posts moderated for awhile. They go into a moderation queue and after one of the moderators or Ben reads it, it is modded in and then it shows up on the forum. That doesn't usually take too long as one of us is usually on the forum for much of the day.

waterman74
05-21-2011, 09:18 AM
ok thanks. I'm a member of several forums, this is by far the toughest one to get on with. You guys must have terrible problems with spammers...not to get off topic.

Watermom
05-21-2011, 10:43 AM
We've had some problems. We are trying to do everything we can to make this forum safe for all of our users. Thanks for understanding and for your patience!

waste
05-21-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm glad to hear things are going better.

When you replace the diaphragm gasket, #1 make a mark on the top and bottom tube sheets (there are arrows to show how to match them up, but a magic marker line on them is sooo much easier to see). Then remove the o-rings on the shaft (take off the bottom one first) and inspect them. Have a cup handy, put the o-rings in it and also the nut's and bolts that you'll be removing to separate the tube sheets (the sizes ate 5/ 16" for the bolts and 3/8" for the nuts (15 pairs, if memory serves)). Then you can take out all the tubes and fully inspect them for tears and replace any that you need to (small tears can be fixed with a hot glue gun - but it's probably better to just replace any damaged ones). Also check the tube sheets themselves for hairline cracks around where the shaft goes through as these can also be the cause of DE going back into the pool). If you need help with the "E" clips that keep the shaft connected to the tube sheets - let me know.

I wouldn't sweat the little bit of DE bypassing the filter until you have the new diaphragm.

waterman74
05-22-2011, 12:09 AM
As of right now, I'm not going to take it apart again until it needs another thorough cleaning, this is the first time in about 7 years I've had it tore down( I have a very small ig pool). Seems to be working pretty good, gonna keep an eye on this DE powder, I can live with a little bit. Didn't see the arrows the first time I took, it apart, but I must have gotten it back together correctly, actually looked like it could only go back together one way...took me a minute to figure out and make sure I didn't have one of the tube sheets upside down.. Had an old finger assembly in the garage, I took a look at it to be double sure I had it right. Will look for hairline cracks around the shaft holes next time, but a cursory inspection didn't reveal anything the first time.

waste
05-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Glad all is acceptable for you as things are. I believe I'd follow the same course <good job!>

waterman74
05-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for everyone's help!