PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and getting a pool

shannon
05-17-2011, 02:17 PM
I really need help! I have a 30x60 in ground, 12ft deep in hopper, and only one time have I had a summer that was under $2,000.00 in chemicals! I plan to subscribe, but frustration is pouring out of me! Every local pool store has headed me in a different direction! I should be able to maintain my chemicals!! Once again, I paid to have my pool closed and opened auto cover to septic water! Had to pump 27,000 gallons out, refill and pump another 27,000 out and refill just to put clean water in it to start treating it! My pool installer Pools of Fun, (local) filed bankruptcy, and have left me high and dry! Liner is ruined due to chemical damage (according to another pool vendor) UGHHHH! The wiring to my Hayward motors was not correct so it locked them up at end of season, and just received new ones today! Having my good ole" Dad wire them correctly this time! I have 2 500lb sand filters and 4 chlorinators, and now Pool people are telling me the best way to go is with "Borates" to maintain chemical levels! Total gallons in my pool are 94,000 gallons.... anyone have suggestions! Im suppose to love my pool and it has done nothing but be a pain in the behind!!!!!

PoolDoc
05-17-2011, 08:50 PM
It's not that hard, believe or not . . . but you are going to have to stay away from the pool stores, and learn to do your own testing. Do this:
Post your latest test results, including CYA (stabilizer).
Post a description of your pool water's condition (clear / cloudy, green, etc.).
Order a K2006C from the Amazon link in my signature.*
Tell us if you have access to a Sams Club or Costco and a Home Depot or Lowes.
If you need to add chlorine now, do so nightly using 12 gallons of household bleach each PM.
Let us know if you can buy 'liquid chlorine' (high % bleach) and if so, what % and what price.
Let us know if your pumps and filters are working NOW.
Do NOT add any pool store goop . . . at all!
One exception: if your pH is below 7 or above 8, add stuff to correct that.

Ben

* The K2006 link is not going to Amato Ind -- and the other suppliers may be delivering a K2005 instead. The K2006C link still goes to the Amazon / Amato page, so it's OK.

CarlD
05-17-2011, 11:26 PM
"borates" huh? And I'll bet they've got a really expensive package to sell you of them. Funny, borates CAN help control algae, but compared to what you've been paying for chemicals, it's going to cost you...chump change! Here's why: The best and cheapest way to add "borates" to your pool is with ordinary grocery store Borax. Yeah, "20 Mule Team" Borax.

There is one and only one "fancy" chemical you MUST get from a pool store or pool section and that's stabilizer, or "Conditioner", ie CYA, Cyanuric acid. Everything else? Grocery stores and hardware stores!

I'm amazed they made you dump your water twice. That's just nuts unless there was something HIGHLY unusual in the water.

Here's what we do (and by "we" I mean the moderators, Ben, and most of our long-time contributers).

We chlorinate with ordinary laundry bleach. When pool stores sell "Liquid Chlorine" it's either regular "ultra" bleach (6%) or double strength bleach (12.5%). Bleach you get at the supermarket or box store.

To lower our pH we use Muriatic Acid, available at hardware stores, like Home Depot and Lowes. If you can get a good price, there's a generic powder called "Dry Acid".

To raise our pH we use....BORAX! Sometimes we use another laundry product: Arm&Hammer Washing Soda (in the yellow box). It's the same stuff that the pool stores sell as soda ash or "pH Up!", only in my area A&H is .80/lb but at pool stores it costs $3/lb or more.

To increase our Total Alkalinity, we use either Baking Soda (again, Arm&Hammer, but the familiar orange box). Pool stores don't call it Sodium Bicarbonate, but there are other names for bicarb that sound fancy and cost a lot. A local pool store sells it for $3/lb, but at Costco that $3. bought 12 lbs! We also raise T/A with Washing Soda (see above).

If you have a vinyl pool, you NEVER need calcium...for anything.

This is why we call it the B-B-B system: The three arms of the triangle are Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda.

I can't help you with the equipment, but the rules for chemicals are always the same.

While you'll use more than most people (bigger pool) you'll still use less than you ever imagined--and your pool will be cleaner and you won't go so crazy!

Carl

Watermom
05-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Carl,
They didn't have them dump the pool twice. Those are partial drains and refills. This is a big pool --- 94K!

CarlD
05-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Ah, you are right, Lisa.

But the question remains: Why replace 54k gallons?