PDA

View Full Version : Algae or pollen??

DennyB65
05-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Numbers are as follows, P.H. 7.2 (trying to lower TA per Pool Doc's reccomendation form SWCG pools), FC 5.0, TA 90 CYA 80, CH 300.

I have small greenish yellow patches on the sides of my pool in certain areas, mainly in the corners. When I brush these areas with a wire algae brush they clear up easily and produce a white cloudy substance in the water. How should I best handle this? Continue to brush these areas as I notice them or should I shock with bleach?

Thankyou in advance!

aylad
05-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Sounds like pollen to me, but it wouldn't hurt to shock the pool just to make sure. Is it settling in the same places every time? I find that in my pool sometimes the pollen will congregate between the return flow and the ends of the pool, tending to deposit in the corners like that.
Other than these deposits, how does your water look?

Janet
'

DennyB65
05-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Water looks great other than these deposits. I have been working on getting my TA down to 70-80, per the SWCG suggestion page. It is taking a long time and in meantime my PH rise is still very fast. I would like to start adding Borates, however, I don't feel as though I should start this process until I have the TA down to the suggested range. What's your opinion?

aylad
05-16-2011, 09:10 PM
I really prefer to adjust one thing at a time. It takes longer that way, but I think you're less likely to make a crucial mistake in the process if you just keep it simple.

Janet