PDA

View Full Version : Automatic pool cover rope replacement

wec101
05-15-2011, 06:18 PM
For the second time in six years I have discovered one of our ropes is rotted and needs replaced on our automatic pool cover. The brand is CoverPool. does anyone know of a generic company that sells these. They are outrageous thu my dealer. I can replace so just need a supplier who won't rip me off. Thanks gc.

PoolDoc
05-15-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't know anything about those ropes, or the prices being asked.

I will offer two cautions.

First, there are often differences in plastics, including synthetic ropes, that you have no way of testing until it's too late. For example, Anchor mesh pool covers look very much like LoopLoc or Meyco covers . . . for about 3 years. But after that the non-UV resistant black stitching on the Anchor covers lets the straps separate from the cover mesh material. Likewise, Plastimayd buys liners from Canadian General, liners that last a long time. Other liner companies buy liners that LOOK LIKE C.G. liners, but aren't and don't last so long. One of C.G.'s product engineers could not tell me a method even I could use to distinguish them -- much less a pool owner.

Second, unless you know materials, you can't know costs. It's entirely possible that you've encountered suppliers that are trying to "rip you off". But on higher quality items -- and CoverPool has had a pretty good rep for a long time -- replacement costs can be expensive for both material reasons, and for 'cost of doing business' reasons (that I won't go into here). So I would encourage you to not just assume you are being ripped off . . . unless you have specific evidence otherwise.

Good luck!

Ben