PDA

View Full Version : moving a chlorinator

mp11735
05-14-2011, 12:37 PM
I need to move my chlorinator and started digging to see what's involved. The first thing I noticed were the hoses were the flex type, is this typical? Do they install into the PVC joints the same way as PVC (Glue)
Any advice would be appreciated

CarlD
05-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Yup! TigerFlex is great stuff. Too many pool installers think it's hose and try to use internal barbed fittings. With 3 hose clamps near their failure point it MAY not leak.

But if you glue it up the same as the rigid stuff it never leaks. I use and work with TigerFlex all the time. Best way to cut it on-site is with a saber saw (incorrectly called a "jig saw"). The bigger, Sawzall-type of saw doesn't do as well (though it's better for the rigid pipe, but you can use it. Have a razor knife with a fresh blade to trim it.

I've been told lots of things about how to handle TigerFlex, but I've never had a problem with the following:
1) Use PVC cleaner first, very, very thoroughly. You'll know it when you see it.
2) Use primer. I don't like to use the combined cleaner/primer on TF. Just not sure of it.
3) Use Schedule 40 rated glue. Some claim the blue glue is better for TF and is more flexible, but I haven't seen or noticed any difference is the quality of the fittings after 9 years of using the stuff.

I just get the 3 chems from Home Depot.

If you need the plumbing to actually be structural and support the chlorinator, then you need to use rigid Schedule 40 pipe. I combine 'em without any problem.

Carl

mp11735
05-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the help, its moved and out of the way now

CarlD
05-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Great!

Carl