PDA

View Full Version : Bird poo in and around my pool

Itsmejoe231
05-13-2011, 04:45 PM
I did fine all winter and now my wife has put out bird feeders (gone now) and has attracted birds to the pool as a bath, drink and a place to take a poo. Now algea has taken over. I'm sure it is like putting fertilizer in my pool and can't be good. Any remidies to get the water back to normal?

PoolDoc
05-13-2011, 05:34 PM
I doubt that the birds are the problem -- more likely, it's low chlorine. Having birds could slightly increase your chlorine demand, but nothing like a couple of sweating middle school boys.

Solution is the same as always:
+ avoid the goop pool stores sell;
+ raise your chlorine with bleach added at in the evening;
+ adjust your pH if it's less than 7 or more than 7.8;
+ test regularly with OTO if you have nothing else;
+ set chlorine levels based on your CYA (stabilizer) levels;
+ get a Taylor K2006 or 2006C so you CAN test higher chlorine levels

Links below; let us know how it goes.

Ben

Itsmejoe231
05-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Ok I guess I need to confess that I have been a lurker here for a year now.

I do have the Taylor kit.
I do use bleach.

My last numbers were:
pH- 7.6
CYA- 40
Total Alkalinity 130

I have kept my chlorine up above 10 for a week

It is an above ground pool with 11700 gallons

CarlD
05-14-2011, 01:08 PM
I dunno. I'm seeing a lot of bird poop this year, all around and in the pool. Never seen it like that before. I'm wondering if pigeons have taken up residence since there aren't enough statues to poop on!

Watermom
05-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Are you maintaining the high cl level without letting it yo-yo up and down? Take it up to 15 and try and hold it there. Also run the pump 24/7. You know the drill. :)Keep us posted of progress.

mortimay
05-14-2011, 10:33 PM
We bought a bunch of plastic snakes at Walmart and placed them around the pool. We don't have a bird problem anymore.

PoolDoc
05-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Hadn't thought of that -- could work.

Ben

PBLsQuad450
05-15-2011, 05:03 PM
We have cats, not plastic ones either. The birds keep their distance, the pool area is serious cat territory in our yard. Inside that fence is certain death. No mice or moles, no nothing under 10 lbs. We had muskrats move into our pool one year. Until one of our cats got one. Unfortunately, we also have coyotes!

chinewalker
07-31-2011, 11:52 AM
We bought a bunch of plastic snakes at Walmart and placed them around the pool. We don't have a bird problem anymore.

That's a great idea. One that I am going to try.